In a significant move aimed at strengthening the mass rapid passenger transport within metropolitan regions, Navi Mumbai civic authorities have proposed the construction of a monorail and a metro rail, however, without the help of the MMRDA.
Metropolitan commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad said the plans would now be scrutinised. Chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh met minister in-charge for Thane district Ganesh Naik around three days ago to discuss the issue.
Former Navi Mumbai mayor Sanjeev Naik said Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) and Cidco floated a tender to appoint a consultant who will conduct a feasibility study for the mono and metro rails. "We have short listed four agencies," Naik said. He added that NMMC would finalise one within a fortnight.
"NMMC and Cidco are seeking an NOC from MMRDA. Both are capable of doing the project on their own," said Naik.
- CCTV footage shows Bhayander wife-killer buying knives from mall
- Don't cut gas quota: Bombay High Court to Centre
- Indian mission scotches rumours of denial of visa to Pakistani patients
- Hundreds protest at cruel youth's home in Mumbai
- Saffron brigade does a U-turn on for anti-superstition Bill
- BJP leaders say Maharashtra too yearning for good governance and will back the Shiv Sena-BJP alliance
- dna special: MMRDA cuts short Freeway to save mangroves, slums
- Speeding Aston Martin hits Audi and Elantra; driver abandons car, flees
- The fine art of accepting defeat
- Advertising agency owner arrested for raping bizwoman in Worli 5-star
- LIVE Delhi Assembly elections result 2013: Will prefer to sit in Opposition, says BJP - 13 hours ago
- Live! Assembly election results: Congress wins in Mizoram - 18 hours ago
- Mizoram Assembly election results: Congress wins, will form government - 17 hours ago
- 'Bigg Boss 7': Sofia Hayat who was evicted from Bigg Boss house says Armaan's love for Tanishaa is an act for the cameras - 16 hours ago
- Salman Khan launches new digital poster of 'Jai Ho' - 14 hours ago