Mumbai Fire brigade to serve notice on Mont Blanc for safety violations

Tuesday, 17 December 2013 - 11:33am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

After ascertaining that a defective electrical circuit led to the fire at Mont Blanc building in Kemps Corner, the Mumbai fire brigade has decided to issue a notice to the owner of the flat No. 121 where the fire started. The fire officials will also serve a notice on the society for leaving LPG cylinders and combustible material on the staircase which helped the fire spread. The incident had claimed seven lives and left as many injured.

Officials have concluded that continuous supply of electricity to electronic gadgets in the bedroom heated the wirings in the faulty circuit thus triggering the blaze.

Notices apart, the fire brigade will also ask the society to comply with its various recommendations, including parking of cars only in the open space near the building, removal of clutters from the passage, installation of smoke detectors and fire alarm and training of the security staff on fire safety.

Considering that the building had been constructed prior to DCR-1991 guidelines came into effect, officials want arrangement of escape chutes, installation of sprinklers in the building.


Jump to comments