Home »  News »  India »  Mumbai

Man asked to pay Rs1 lakh for child's admission; beaten for recording conversation with principal

Tuesday, 10 June 2014 - 6:40am IST | Agency: dna

A man, who sought admission for his four-year-old child at the Sacred Heart school in Kalyan, was brutally assaulted for recording a conversation with the principal who allegedly demanded a donation of Rs1 lakh.

The man, Ghanshyam Bhagwan Talreja, has complained to the police, who have registered a case against unidentified persons for assault and criminal intimidation. The school is a reputed institution and the incident has agitated parents of children studying there. 

Talreja, 36, along with his wife first approached the school on June 2, seeking admission for his child in the Junior KG. The principal Fr Anthony Albin informed them about the fees structure and also told them they would have to pay a donation.

Talreja says he begged the principal that he would not be able to pay such a large amount. But when he was told that he would have to seek admission somewhere else, he asked for some time to arrange the money.

The following day, Talreja paid Rs25,000 to a school official and again asked for more time to pay the remaining amount. He continued to visit the school daily to confirm that he was keen about the admission and he says that he recorded all the exchanges with the school authorities on his mobile phone.

Every time, he was driven out of the school office with a warning that he would have to pay an extra Rs2,000 interest on the balance amount for the delay. 

But on Saturday morning, as he stepped out of the office, some staff members got suspicious and followed after him. Talreja alleged that some way from the school, two persons riding a motorcycle stopped and assaulted him. "They abused me about making a recording and kicked and punched me," Talreja said. "They searched for my mobile phone, but when they could not find it they warned me not to come to the school and left." Some passersby helped him to get to a hospital where he was treated for a fracture on the hand. "The principal had also said he wanted to talk to my wife separately, but I told him he should say whatever he has to in my presence. I am a poor man and cannot arrange so much money in a short time," he said.

S Rokhade, investigating officer at Ulhasnagar police station, said investigations were in progress and no arrests were made so far. They have taken the statement of the school authorities. The CCTV system was not functioning on the school premises as it is the vacation period.

Jump to comments

Recommended Content