The state education department’s plan to conduct uniform admissions at the entry level in schools across the state has again been put off — for the third consecutive year. It has changed its mind and put off the process for another year.
Last week, director of primary education, Mahavir Mane, told dna: “We have decided to conduct only 25% admissions reserved under the Right to Education (RTE) and decided to let the school conduct the remaining 75% admissions whenever they want.”
He added that the uniform admission process for all seats would be implemented in the academic year 2015-2016.
On November 22, the state education department had announced that all admissions which are conducted before April would be considered illegal.
School education minister Rajendra Darda had instructed that CBSE and ICSE schools be taken into consideration while creating an admission schedule as they begin their academic year ahead of the state board schools. Schools are yet to receive a communication are so are confused on the next move. “Usually, we have admissions in December but a circular was sent to us asking us not to conduct admissions before April so we changed our schedule. We don’t know what to do next,” said Father Bosco D’Mello, principal of Don Bosco School, Matunga.
Parents, who had already taken admission, heaved a sigh of relief. “When it was announced that there will be uniform admissions, we were hoping we won’t fall prey to the competition. Since the notification did not reach schools on time, they continued with admissions and we had to secure a seat,” said Prema Rajkumar, a resident of Mulund.
“Like every year, the state has given in to pressure of private schools. They have also misguided the parents. However, now when parents rush to schools, they will be told that the seats are full and poor children will be left out,” said activist Avisha Kulkarni.