Home »  News »  India »  Mumbai

Judge warns prosecution against any more delay in Salman Khan hit-and-run case

Wednesday, 22 January 2014 - 11:12am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: dna

A sessions court on Tuesday pulled up the prosecution for seeking an adjournment in the hit-and-run case involving actor Salman Khan, saying that it was the last adjournment it was granting.

Last month, judge DW Deshpande granted the actor a retrial in the decade-old case. The prosecution produced a list of 64 witnesses whom it said it wanted to examine.

Initially, Salman was charged with culpable homicide but it was later reduced to death by a rash and negligent act that carries a two-year term.

Then in June this year, the sessions court admitted culpable homicide charges, punishable by up to 10 years, on the basis of a public interest litigation.

A source said, “After the prosecution submitted the list of witnesses in the case, it informed the court that since a new section of culpable homicide not amounting to murder was registered, it wanted time to go through the matter and submit additional documents to the court.”

When dna spoke to J Kenjalkar, the additional public prosecutor appearing in the case, he said he had submitted a list of 64 witnesses whom the prosecution would examine during the retrial.

Srikant Shivde, Salman’s advocate, said the judge had adjourned the matter to February 12, when the prosecution would produce the remaining documents.

According to the prosecution case, the actor had allegedly driven his Land Cruiser over five men, who were sleeping on a pavement outside a bakery in suburban Bandra, in the early hours on September 28, 2002.

While one person was killed four others were injured in the accident.

Quick recap of the accident
Actor Salman Khan allegedly drove his Land Cruiser over five men, who were sleeping on a pavement outside a bakery in suburban Bandra in the early hours on September 28, 2002.

While one person had been killed in the accident, four others had been injured

Last month, a sessions court granted Salman Khan a fresh trial in a decade-old hit-and-run case after the actor pleaded that in view of the additional grave charges, the evidence presented earlier before a magistrate be discarded and that re-evaluation and fresh cross-examination of witnesses be allowed

On Tuesday, the prosecution requested the court for some more time to examine the new charges and submit additional documents to the court.




Jump to comments