A major fire broke out on the sets of the Hindi serial 'Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev' at Vasai on Tuesday afternoon. No injury was reported in the incident. However, sources said the lead actor of the daily soap, Mohit Raina, just about managed to escape in time. But the costumes and jewelery section of the set was gutted.
The blaze was doused after four hours of firefighting by fire brigade personnel. At least six water tankers of Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation were used in the process.
According to fire brigade officials, the fire started in the go-down of the sets around 12 noon. The studio is located on the Kaman Bhiwandi Road in Toman village of Vasai (East) off Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway.
The Valiv police are investigating the incident. The cause of the fire is believed to be an electric short-circuit in the go-down.
"The shooting was halted on the sets and the crew members were taken to a safer place. The costumes and jewellery used in the mythological serial have been gutted and huge a loss has been incurred," said a police officer.
A member of the production team of the serial said: "The lead actor, Mohit Raina, was wearing his costumes inside and he was rescued by the team."
The serial 'Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev' is aired on Life Ok channel.
Earlier, sets of 'Aaj Ki Housewife hai - Sab Jaanti Hai', aired on Zee TV, was gutted in a fire near Vasai on July 30, 2013 and a loss of Rs3 crore was reported.