The awareness created about the ill effects of bursting firecrackers seems to have finally paid off as city hospitals received fewer number of burn cases this year. Doctors say that so far, the number of cases is unusually low this time.
In the last three days, less than 20 people were brought into the civic hospitals, of which three were admitted. According to the civic hospital figures, 50 were hospitalised last year. Dr Suleman Merchant, acting dean of LTMG Hospital in Sion, said, "The awareness has definitely helped. There has been significant reduction in the number of Diwali injuries. The nature of injuries has also reduced from major to minor."
At LTMG Hospital, only two of the eight patients were hospitalised. "A 15-year-old boy suffered a corneal tear, which was sutured yesterday. Another 32-year-old man suffered 4% burns on his right hand," added Dr Merchant.
According to the ophthalmology departments of both LTMG Hospital and KEM Hospital, the eye injuries caused while bursting firecrackers were manageable, and could have been prevented. "We had children being brought in with minor eye injuries that could have been otherwise avoided if the parents had taken care," said Dr Nayana Poddar, ophthalmology department, LTMG Hospital.
Around five children were brought into KEM Hospital with eye injuries. One of those was hospitalised. "A 7-year-old boy was bursting crackers when something hit his right eye, dislocating the lens and causing bleeding. We will conduct a sonography to find the extent of damage to his retina," said Dr Arjun Ahuja, head of the ophthalmology department, KEM Hospital.
BYL Nair Hospital saw eight patients admitted due to burn injuries. "The burn injuries were superficial. They were administered antibiotics and ointments and discharged after a few hours," said Dr Shivraj Das, deputy dean, BYL Nair Hospital.
Private hospitals, too, didn’t see many such cases. Dr Radhika Krishnan of Aditya Jyot Eye Hospital in Wadala said.
"We saw two such cases. Sulphur powder entered a 7-year-old boy’s eyes and he had burning and blurring of vision. Luckily, he was brought in early, and we sent him home with eye wash."