A 47-year-old man from Goregaon died of dengue at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital in Andheri on Tuesday, taking the total toll to three in the city this year.
The deceased, Chayya Rajendra Naik, was an employee of a city-based pharmaceutical company.
“The cause of death has been declared as dengue shock syndrome with multi organ dysfunction,” confirmed Dr Ram Narain, executive director of Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital (KDAH).
However, BMC officials said they were not aware of such a death and that they are awaiting a report from the hospital.
“We will confirm the death after investigating the case,” said BMC epidemiologist.
Jagdish Naik, a relative of the deceased, said, “Chayya was admitted in the intensive care unit on Sunday. A week prior to that she was being treated by a local doctor for high fever.
We shifted her to Kokilaben hospital where her medical reports stated that she had dengue. Her condition started deteriorating and eventually she succumbed early on Tuesday at the hospital.”
A disturbing upsurge in dengue cases in the western suburbs of Goregaon has lead senior BMC officials to conduct combing operations in the neighbourhood.
The civic body has admonished the claims made by political parties in media reports that up to 50 cases of dengue were reported in Shastri Nagar in the last 15 days alone.
“Only seven cases of dengue have been picked up in the area. While six are suspected, one case of dengue is confirmed. This has been notified to us by the local hospitals in the area,” said Manisha Mhaiskar, additional commissioner (health), BMC.
On Tuesday, BMC executive health officer Dr Arun Bamne and BMC epidemiologist Dr Mangala Gomare visited Shastri Nagar area in Goregaon falling under P/South ward, to check the ground reality. Mhaiskar said breeding spots of Aedes egypti mosquito, which spread dengue, were located in apartments of four co-operative housing societies – Divyajyot, Audumbar, Millenium and Sarvodaya – in Shastri Nagar.
“Twelve breeding spots were found in patients’ houses in petri dishes of potted plants, feng shui ornamental plants, plastic sheets on the terrace and in the flower pots,” noted Mhaiskar.
The BMC officials have filed up to 92 prosecution cases against housing society members that have failed to adhere to civic body’s instructions to prevent mosquito breeding in their houses and surroundings.
“We are prosecuting the errant residents under Section 381 (B) of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation Act for failure to prevent breeding and ignorance in spite of repeated warnings. Such ignorance can cost a person his/her life. It is very important for people to understand this.”
Further cracking a whip, civic officials are taking photographs of mosquito breeding sites in the apartments and putting it up in the full view of housing societies’ notice boards for residents to become aware as to whose apartments possess breeding sites.
“We have started this initiative in D Ward area to make residents more accountable,” said Mhaiskar, adding that the civic body has screened up to 5,719 housing societies and sensitized 85,975 citizens about the steps to be taken prevent breeding of mosquitoes.