Cops tried to cover up our son's killing: Aniket Khicchi parents

Tuesday, 31 December 2013 - 10:52am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA
Kin of victim in Vanrai custodial death case say cops first gave them false info.

Nearly two months after the death of a 20-year-old man in the custody of Vanrai police, the deceased’s parents on Monday alleged that the police initially tried to cover up the murder by giving false information.

Three policemen have been arrested on murder charges after a post-mortem report confirmed that victim Aniket Khicchi died of multiple injuries, suggesting brutal assault,as opposed to the police claim of chest pain.

Kurla resident Aniket’s parents havealleged that the police even went on to the extent of giving wrongnames for his son and Ratan Vani. Both had been picked by Vanrai copsfrom NESCO grounds in Goregaon on October 26 on charges of theft.Aniket died the same night.

Speaking exclusively to dna, mother ofthe victim Beena Khicchi, 45, said, “On that day, Aniket had gone to drop his sister, who lives in Pune, at the railway station. Whenhe did not return home, we approached the nearby police station tofile a missing complaint. But we were told it would be recorded onlyafter 24 hours.”

Beena said later she learnt about Aniket’s arrest. “After a few days, when things seemed suspicious,I went to Vanrai police station. I went numb with shock as they told me that Aniket had died and I would be required to go to JJ to identify his body. When my mother-in-law lifted the head, she realised that he had bled from there,” said Beena, trying maintain her composure.

However Aniket’s father Sudhir, a vegetable vendor, could not stop crying. “Ratan Vani had told usthat the cops hung my son by a hand and assaulted him. He kepttelling them that he was innocent, but they did not relent. Finally, my son gave up and died.”

Sudhir said the cops then shifted Vanito another cell and asked all those present in the lock-ups not totalk about the incident. Sudhir said he had recorded his conversationwith Vani on his mobile phone. “Vani had also told us that thepolicemen were drunk. However, he later started avoiding us. Now hedoesn’t even stay at his place, which is five minutes walk from ourhome,” added Sudhir.

A crime branch officer said the investigation is on. He said, “At this stage, we cannot comment anything on it.” Meanwhile the custody of the three constables – Chandrakant Kamble, Kiran Pingle and Umesh Gosavi – has been extended January 1, 2014.

Theft accused ‘ends life’ in cop custody
A 43-year-old man allegedly committed suicide in police custody on March 26, hours after he was detained. Mohammed Khan, who was accused of pick-pocketing, reportedly banged his head on iron grilles, the police said. Chembur police said Khan had been called for questioning and had not been formally arreste.
—compiled by RNA

Jump to comments