The municipal administration appears adamant on going ahead with the demolition of the illegal floors of the Campa Cola buildings from November 12, despite the standing committee holding back sanction of funds for the work.
“Even though the (standing) committee has deferred its decision on the proposal, we will go ahead with the court order from November 12,” a senior official of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said on Monday.
The Supreme Court has allowed the flat owners time till November 11 to find alternative accommodation.
“The demolition work will begin with the razing of internal walls of the unauthorised flats. If there is no contractor appointed by then, we will put our labourers on the job,” he said. The official said that occupants of the other flats should not worry about the safety of their houses as they would not be affected by the demolition work. “We will take care that their houses are safe,” he said.
Last week, the standing committee, which is required to approve financial proposals, rejected a proposal to award the contract for the demolition work.
The committee members argued that the cost was high and that a fresh proposal be made according to the new schedule of rates. The official suggested that the BMC commissioner may use his powers to undertake work involving up to Rs50 lakh expenditure without the standing committee’s nod. It could divide the cost, which is estimated at Rs2.5 crore.