The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), on Thursday, informed the high court that it could not take up the investigation of the murder of anti-superstition activist Narendra Dabholkar, who was killed in Pune last year.
Advocate Rebecca Gonzalves, appearing for the agency, informed the court that the petition filed by former journalist Ketan Tirodkar seeking transfer of the case, hadn't made out a case for the probe being transferred to the agency.
She also quoted a Supreme Court ruling that said routine matters of investigations shouldn't be transferred to the CBI unless such cases had national or international ramification.
Tirodkar countered the argument saying that even if no allegations had been made against authorities, the probe in a criminal case could be transferred to the CBI if it has national or international ramifications. In this case, he said, the probe was spread over three states, Madhya Pradesh, Goa and Maharashtra. The police also had information that the accused had fled to Dubai where they were hiding.
Tirodkar cited the judgement in a case involving NCP leader Padamsinh Patil, who is accused in a murder case, saying that in that case the court, which had not commented about the role of the police, transferred the probe to the CBI.
The court, after hearing both the sides, reserved the order to Friday.
Dabholkar was shot dead by unknown assailants in Pune on August 20, 2013. The Pune police had earlier submitted case diaries and confidential reports to the court. After going through them, the judges sought to know the status of the probe and asked the CBI to state its stand.
The CBI was made a party after the National Investigating Agency (NIA) which was first made a respondent in the PIL, also refused to probe the case on various grounds.
Dabholkar's daughter Mukta, who has been allowed to intervene, said the family wanted the HC to monitor the probe. She had earlier demanded formation of a special investigating team (SIT) as the police hadn't made any headway in the case.