Home »  News »  India »  Mumbai

Bombay high court puts Tilak Nagar police on notice over girl missing for 9 years

Saturday, 3 May 2014 - 8:15am IST | Agency: dna

The Bombay high court on Friday issued a notice to the Tilak Nagar police station while hearing a habeas corpus (produce person in court) petition by a woman whose then minor daughter has been missing for nine years.

A division bench of justices PV Hardas and Ajey Gadkari issued the notice while hearing the petition by Sushma Kamble seeking to transfer the probe to CID. Kamble, 40, a resident of Chembur, had filed the petition after the police failed to trace her daughter who went missing in May 2005.

According to Kamble's advocate Sushan Kunjuraman, his client received a call from an RCF security guard on May 6, 2005, that her daughter was detained along with two boys – Ramesh Shendge and Amol vajari – for trespassing on the restricted area of RCF Colony.

Kamble went and got the trio released. At the time, Kamble's daughter informed her that she and Shendge were in love and were planning to elope. Kamble talked to her and brought her home. However, later in the day, the girl left the house and did not return. She called her sister the next day and said she was going with another friend, Devendra Kamble, to Navi Mumbai.

As she didn't return and Devendra was spotted in the neighbourhood, Kamble on May 8, 2005, went to inquire. Devendra told her to find their daughter in Vashi. However, after failing to find her there, Kamble lodged a complaint with the Tilak Nagar police who, instead of filing a kidnapping FIR, registered a missing complaint, argued Kunjuraman, adding that, when they again tried to inquire with Devendra, his father assaulted the Kambles.

Later in November, 2005, the petitioner also registered a missing case at the National Centre for Missing Children. Despite nine years having passed by and the parents having named the girl's lover, Shendge, the police have failed to trace the girl, said Kunjuraman.

Additional public prosecutor Hitendra Dedhia said he would speak to the officer concerned at the Tilak Nagar police station. The HC has kept he petition for hearing next week.

Jump to comments

Recommended Content