Those at the helm of affairs in prisons may have their views on the 'realism' of Madhur Bhandarkar's Jail, which was released on Friday. But none can deny that the clothes worn by the characters in the film are authentic. That is because all the prison costumes carry the 'Made in Yerwada' tag.
In April, authorities at the Yerwada central jail received a request from Bhandarkar Entertainment for tailormade clothes. On April 12 —- just three days later —- over 200 costumes worth Rs50,000 were supplied by the prison. The items included uniforms of superintendents, convicts, undertrials, wardens, night watchmen, warders, cooks and guards.
All the costumes, except for the uniforms of jailers, were stitched using cloth made by Yerwada prison's own textile industry. "The authenticity, detailing, and work would not have come through with any other designer, no matter how much money I paid," Bhandarkar said. "All my actors loved the clothes and felt 'in character'."
Deputy inspector-general of police (prisons) Ravindra Kedari told DNA, that 150 inmates, including women, stitch nearly 5,000 clothes daily for various jails in the state.
"We have a textile mill in the prison which manufactures cloth, khadi and pure cotton," he said. "We usually have the stock of clothes ready and no extra efforts were needed to meet the demand of the film production house."
Kedari said the jail's only condition was that the costumes should be returned later to avoid misuse. "The production house has agreed to do this without claiming back the fees," he said.
- Realty focus shifts to NAINA
- BMC bows to residents' protests, may not widen St Martin's Road in Bandra
- Kolkata's iconic Flurys opens two outlets in Navi Mumbai
- Now, morning walk can leave you gasping
- BMC fails to demolish Lexicon Global School
- Meet Harish Kapadia, who knows the Himalayas, Sahyadri like the back of his hand
- Ward officers of the civic body finally get their transfers
- 14th BANM expo set to be a grand affair
- Time to focus on affluent families for improving country's skewed sex ratio
- Mumbai: Opposition puts government on mat over failure to get central nod for Bills
- AAP, BJP ready for fresh poll, Congress to back AAP? - 17 hours ago
- Supreme Court makes gay sex punishable offence, Baba Ramdev feels happy with verdict as many express outrage on Twitter - 6 hours ago
- Will dance on 'Besharam' song at Ranbir Kapoor's wedding: Katrina Kaif - 16 hours ago
- Love Salman Khan for promoting 'Dhoom 3' in 'Bigg Boss': Aamir Khan - 17 hours ago
- South Africa vs India, 3rd ODI: Either rain or courageous show from MS Dhoni & Co. will save India from drubbing - 8 hours ago