More than 40 people were admitted to hospitals after gas leaked at a Taloja-based fishing company’s plant on Monday evening. The incident occurred at around 8.30 pm when ammonia gas leaked from the Naik Fishing Company located in MIDC area of Taloja.
“We got information on Monday night that ammonia gas had got leaked at the plant located close to Dongryacha Pada. At least, 42 people from the village came in contact with the gas which caused them vomiting and nausea,” sr inspector from Taloja police station, Datta Ghule said.
The victims were rushed to nearby Central, Satyam and MGM hospitals in Taloja, Kalamboli and Kamothe respectively. The official added that the situation was brought under control within six hours after the gas leaked.
“As soon as we received information, we passed on the message to fire brigade and chemical experts to bring the situation under control. First, we vacated the Pada residents from the area to another place. Our personnel too were asked not to enter the plant until the chemical experts got hold of the situation,” the official said.
Ghule added the cops had not filed any case against the officials of the company so far as they were yet to record statements of the victims. “But we are more likely to register a case against them under sections 284 and 287 of the Indian Penal Code,” he said.
Condition of all the patients is stable, informed a medical officer at MGM hospital, requesting not to be quoted. “Four of the victims are kept in ICU, but they are stable. These persons are patients of blood pressure and will be discharged soon,” he said.