They are bodyguards of another member who was victim's rival for the post of secretary, the police claim
Six persons were on Monday arrested by the Samta Nagar police for allegedly being involved in the murder of 45-year-old union leader and secretary of a housing society, Shantaram Kanade.
A group of 10-12 men had stabbed him to death in the Sumaras Inset Coop Housing Society office in Kandivili (East) on Sunday.
The arrested persons have been identified as Dashrath Bhanudash Shinde, 39; Babu Murlidhar Nimbalkar, 24; Kapil Karabhau Ahir, 28; Gorakh Bhanudas Shinde, 38; Rajesh Ramesh Tanadel, 33 and Sarfraz Usman Sheikh, 29. They have been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). The accused are alleged to be bodyguards of Vijay Salvi, alias Tambad, a resident of the same society.
"Kanade and Salvi were rivals for the post of secretary. They had registered many cases against each other. All the arrested persons are bodyguards of Salvi. We are searching for four more people involved in Kanade's murder," said Ajit Patil, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), zone XII.
"Salvi has an export-import business and keeps going to London for the purpose. There are several cases lodged against him in Samta Nagar, Mulund and Vile Parle police stations. These include a case of murder, three cases of attempt to murder and an assault case," added Patil.
Police are investigating whether Salvi was in India or in London when the incident occurred. They suspect that Salvi is in London.
Kanade was a union leader in a reputed company. Many cases, including that of rioting, assault and non-cognisable offence, were lodged against him, the police said.
Police said Kanade's body had 39 stab injuries. Manager of the housing society, Manoj Diwakar Nair, was present in the office when the incident occurred. He suffered minor injuries when he tried to intervene.
- Mumbai: Gold 'smuggler' let off to tie the knot
- Ramps for physically challenged missing at Navi Mumbai stations
- Strange but true: Bros, both BEST staffers, undergo similar heart surgery on same day
- Charity begins at home
- Congress corporator's 'popat' remark draws officials' flak
- Navi Mumbai: Spreading Christ's message through carols and skits
- Women patrolling teams hit roads to protect Navi Mumbai women
- Navi Mumbai: Residents packing up for Xmas
- Aam aadmi blew Rajiv Shukla's cover
- Work at Arenja Circle sending motorists round the bend
- Delhi LIVE: BJP rejects offer to form government, Lt Governor invites Aam Aadmi Party for discussions - 8 hours ago
- Sreesanth ties knot with Jaipur princess - 15 hours ago
- Bigg Boss 7: Sunny Leone to turn up the heat as Armaan, Kushaal, Sangram & Ajaz vie for her attention - 8 hours ago
- Rajinikanth turns 63: List of popular dialogues from his movies - 18 hours ago
- A sad day for India and for the world: American LGBT organisation All Out - 16 hours ago