Home »  News »  India »  Mumbai

2 minor boys electrocuted while playing cards on top of Mumbai local, 1 dead

Monday, 18 August 2014 - 5:07am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

In a tragic turn of events, two minor boys were injured, one fatally, after they came in contact with the high tension overhead wires while playing cards on the roof of a local train at the Mahim railway yard.

The deceased has been identified as Amjad Khan, 15, and the injured is 11-year-old Imran Sayyad. Both are residents of Kumbharwada in Dharavi.

According to GRP officials, four boys had come on Sunday afternoon to play on the roof. "Khan died due to electrocution after he came in contact with the wires. His friends tried to save him, but he suffered injuries. Their other friends fled," said a GRP officer.

Both the victims were rushed to the hospital by an RPF constable who was posted at the yard. However, Khan was declared dead before admission and Sayyed has sustained 15% burns on his body. He is currently undergoing treatment at Sion hospital. A case of accidental death has been registered with the Shahu Nagar police.

The issue once again highlights WR as well as Central Railway's perennial problem of a lack of parking space for trains. "Most of the adjoining stretches of these yards have been taken over by slums and children and urchins loiter around in the yard looking for small items that could be sold in the flea market. The more dangerous are the drug-addicts who are looking for copper and end up cutting cables and damaging the rake itself," said a senior railway official.

Among the problematic train stabling yards for the railways are the ones in Bandra south-where recently a train had most its cabling cut, the one at Mahim the one on the northern end of Dadar station and the one in the northern tip of Kurla station.




Jump to comments