Seventeen class VII students of a civic-run school in Aurangabad took ill on Saturday after eating khichdi, served to them as part of midday meal. Four of them are said in serious condition.
The incident occurred at Jawaharnagar School, said Aurangabad municipal corporation mayor Kala Ojha. The mayor has order a probe into the food-poisoning.
Medical officer of the city’s civic administration Dr Jayshri Kulkarni said the students started complaining of stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea half an hour after consuming the food item.
They were admitted to Government Medical College Hospital. According to doctors at the hospital, four students are critical.
Mayor Ojha said midday meal is currently being provided to students in 220 schools in the area by Iskon Food Relief Foundation. However, no complaint was received from any other school, he said.