A 15-year-old school student was electrocuted after coming into contact with a high voltage overhead equipment wire at Jasai railway yard on Central Railway’s Panvel- JNPT (Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust) railway line on Wednesday morning.
“The deceased was identified as Sarvesh Gavai, resident of Jasai railway colony. He was studying in class IX in Jasai Marathi School at Jasai near Uran, " informed a police officer at Uran police station. He added that they have registered a case of accident death and the body was handed over to parents following post mortem at Indira Gandhi municipal hospital at Uran.
The incident took place at around 10.45 am. Resident of railway colony just outside the Jasai railway yard, Sarvesh, was on his way to school located on the other side of the yard. He scaled the ladder of the stationary goods wagon at railway yard to reach school early. However, while on the rooftop of the wagon, he accidently touched the OHE and died on the spot.
Some students noticed it, and informed their school teacher. On learning the incident, the school teacher rushed to the spot and informed the railway yard master who in turn informed the Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel and Uran police. It was found that Sarvesh died of 90% burn injuries, added the officer.