A 14-year-old student of Sant Gadgebaba Ashram School in Dahanu taluka died and 19 others fell ill after they reportedly consumed contaminated water in the school.
The students were rushed to Kasa’s sub-district hospital for treatment on Sunday night. The condition of five students is stated to be critical.
About 750 students study in the school and live in the hostel. On Sunday night, the students complained of stomachache and vomited. While they were rushed to the hospital, the staff of the primary health centre in the village inspected the spot and sanitised the school.
“The students suddenly started vomiting and complained of severe stomachache. Other students too complained and were rushed at the hospital,” said KT Mohite, centre officer at tehsil office.
“As soon as we were informed, we asked the health centre to check the school as we suspected it to be a case of food poisoning. But it was the water in the tank that was found to be contaminated. We are now conducting an inquiry,” said Mohite.