Suburban rail traffic on the Western Railway is likely to be affected for almost 82 days starting Thursday, with a mega block being scheduled at Borivli railway station.
In response to numerous complaints from commuters about the inconvenience caused by the construction of platform 8, the railway has decided to build a ninth platform parallel to the existing platform 6.
The work will involve laying of a new track where currently stand columns of the foot overbridge (FOB), provision of new columns for the extended foot bridge, and providing a cover for the new platform.
A new station building will be built on the east side and the Borivli yard will be remodelled. During all of this, platform 6 will remain closed.
"This situation will require methodically and sequentially planned mechanism to minimise commuter inconvenience while completing the work on a war footing," said Shyam Gupta, chief public relations officer (PRO) of the railway.
The work, which will cost Rs31 crore, was sanctioned on July 31 and will be completed by February 2010. "A 10m wide platform, long enough to halt a 24-car train, will be constructed. Some portions will be widened to 330m for suburban trains.
Three railway FOBs, one civic FOB, and one subway will be extended and basic passenger amenities, both on the platform and in the station building, will be provided," Gupta said.
During this period, some mail and express trains will not halt at Borivli, some short-distance suburban trains will originate and terminate at Goregaon and Malad, and some long-distance trains will be partially cancelled. "The newly constructed platform will be used for local or express trains," a Western Railway official said. "In the future we plan to halt long-distance trains and trains towards Dahanu on platforms 7 and 8."
The train for Borivli leaving Churchgate at 6:14pm will be extended to Bhayander. It will reach Bhayander at 7:22pm. Hence, this train, which usually starts at 7:13pm from Borivli, will be cancelled throughout the period of the mega block. Borivli locals originating and terminating from platform 6 will be moved to other platforms.
- More rain trees come under killer fungal attack
- Only 29,000 apply for Mhada flats
- Ex-Shiv Sainiks to relaunch campaign for Raj-Uddhav Thackeray reunion
- Illegal Sara-Sahara shopping complex back in business
- Misdiagnosis leaves 13-year-old athlete battling for life
- Time for 'demo' in democracy?
- Survey throws up new 'big' stations
- Traders to resume stir against LBT if issue is not resolved
- IPL spot-fixing: Marine Drive U-turn, the operation that took down Sreesanth & Co
- Deceased had a male heart: Report
- Farrah Abraham's 'unwashed bikini' yanked off eBay - 6 hours ago
- Observe 'dance of the planets' from May 24 - 8 hours ago
- Aarushi Talwar murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place - 9 hours ago
- IPL spot-fixing: Sreesanth's plea for FIR disposed as none turn up - 6 hours ago
- LBT supporter group is 'backstabber' - 14 hours ago
- Plum posts for Siddaramaiah's men, glum faces among veterans - 13 hours ago
- IPL spot-fixing: Rs20 lakh recovered from residence of Ajit Chandila's relative - 9 hours ago
- IPL spot-fixing: Marine Drive U-turn, the operation that took down Sreesanth & Co - 15 hours ago
- Eva Longoria suffers major wardrobe malfunction at Cannes - 6 hours ago
- Sa'xxx' ki dukaan - 11 hours ago