Those at the helm of affairs in prisons may have their views on the 'realism' of Madhur Bhandarkar's Jail, which was released on Friday. But none can deny that the clothes worn by the characters in the film are authentic. That is because all the prison costumes carry the 'Made in Yerwada' tag.
In April, authorities at the Yerwada central jail received a request from Bhandarkar Entertainment for tailormade clothes. On April 12 —- just three days later —- over 200 costumes worth Rs50,000 were supplied by the prison. The items included uniforms of superintendents, convicts, undertrials, wardens, night watchmen, warders, cooks and guards.
All the costumes, except for the uniforms of jailers, were stitched using cloth made by Yerwada prison's own textile industry. "The authenticity, detailing, and work would not have come through with any other designer, no matter how much money I paid," Bhandarkar said. "All my actors loved the clothes and felt 'in character'."
Deputy inspector-general of police (prisons) Ravindra Kedari told DNA, that 150 inmates, including women, stitch nearly 5,000 clothes daily for various jails in the state.
"We have a textile mill in the prison which manufactures cloth, khadi and pure cotton," he said. "We usually have the stock of clothes ready and no extra efforts were needed to meet the demand of the film production house."
Kedari said the jail's only condition was that the costumes should be returned later to avoid misuse. "The production house has agreed to do this without claiming back the fees," he said.
- Missing Hamid Ansari's family writes to Sarabjit's lawyer for help
- Two get bail in Thane building collapse case
- International Museum Day: 13 Mumbai museums you must visit
- Meet monorail's first 3 Indian captains
- Sanjay Dutt wants to move out of Kasab barrack
- Right-to-pee activists to follow China model, Occupy Men's Toilet
- Just what the Doctor ordered
- South African woman held with Rs 13crore contraband
- Glamour girls were the messengers too, and not just WhatsApp
- Sanjay Dutt stays up the whole night in jail with old friend
- IPL 6: RCB stay in hunt beating CSK by 24 runs in final league game - 4 hours ago
- Bet on it. Your mango is ripened using carbide - 12 hours ago
- Wife's query may fix Ajit Chandila - 17 hours ago
- IPL 6: Kings XI Punjab crush Mumbai Indians by 50 runs to sign off in style - 9 hours ago
- Adam Gilchrist bids adieu to the IPL by taking first wicket in competitive cricket - 4 hours ago
- What mindless fools they have been: International media on Sreesanth, Chandila and Chavan - 4 hours ago
- One more bookie arrested, Sreesanth's laptop, iPad seized in connection with IPL spot-fixing, says Himanshu Roy - 8 hours ago
- Karnataka polls: Siddaramaiah expands Cabinet, 28 Ministers sworn in - 15 hours ago
- Adam Gilchrist demands life bans for 'IPL spot-fixers' if found guilty - 10 hours ago
- Kim Kardashian and baby to join Kanye West on tour - 10 hours ago