Late film lyricist Gopal Singh Nepali's son has dragged UK-based production house Celador Films — which produced Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire — to court for depriving his father of the credit for the song Darshan Do Ghanshyam.
The suit, filed last month, came up for hearing before Justice SC Dharmadhikari on Monday. The court refused to grant an ad-interim stay on the screening of the film as the film has already been released. The hearing was adjourned to September 9 and the respondents have been asked to file a reply.
According to suit filed by Nakulsingh Nepali, the song features in the film Narsi Bhagat (1957). But in Slumdog Millionaire, which centers around a quiz show, the sahi jawab of the question on who wrote the hymn pops up as 'saint Surdas'.
Nakulsingh initially wrote to the makers of the film but failed to get an adequate response from them. He has now demanded damages of Rs 5 crore and correction of the error.
"My client saw the film sometime in February, and was shocked to see that the song was attributed to the wrong person. The producers should either remove the sequence which gives wrong information, or replace it with one having correct answer," said petitioner's advocate Anjanikumar Singh.
Singh claimed that the production house had wanted his client to settle the case out of court, but was not willing to remove the sequence in question from the film. "Our case is that it is an infringement of copyrights act," said advocate Singh.
- No oneupmanship between Delhi, Mumbai cops in IPL probe: RR Patil
- What the hole!
- Kiwi jumps to death from 17th floor of Bandra 5-star
- Top of Everest on one leg and sheer grit for Arunima Sinha
- Ghatkopar blaze ends this elderly couple's 60-yr marriage
- Cops to 'fix' bookies on new wanted list; raids continue
- Expert delinks alcohol from Andheri girl's death
- It's murder by in-laws, say deceased woman's parents
- iGate sacks Phaneesh Murthy over undisclosed relationship
- Unapproved Bt cotton seeds sold in Vidarbha
- Live! IPL spot-fixing: Vindoo Dara Singh spills the beans, was known as Jack in betting circles - 6 hours ago
- Phaneesh Murthy's second time around. Araceli Roiz alleges sexual harassment - 23 hours ago
- IPL 6: CSK beat Mumbai Indians by 48 runs, make it to fourth consecutive IPL final - 23 hours ago
- Sexual harassment: Few learn from mistakes - 9 hours ago
- Sreesanth bought clothes worth Rs2 lakh, gifted Blackberry Z10 to girlfriend: Police - 23 hours ago
- Sreesanth and the complete list of accused in IPL spot-fixing - 21 hours ago
- Sanjay Dutt's quick shift from Mumbai to Pune brings back memories of 'Operation X' - 9 hours ago
- Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan extends Cannes stay for amFar - 21 hours ago
- I'm innocent, never indulged in spot-fixing: Sreesanth - 22 hours ago
- iGate sacking: What LinkedIn users are saying - 22 hours ago