They are bodyguards of another member who was victim's rival for the post of secretary, the police claim
Six persons were on Monday arrested by the Samta Nagar police for allegedly being involved in the murder of 45-year-old union leader and secretary of a housing society, Shantaram Kanade.
A group of 10-12 men had stabbed him to death in the Sumaras Inset Coop Housing Society office in Kandivili (East) on Sunday.
The arrested persons have been identified as Dashrath Bhanudash Shinde, 39; Babu Murlidhar Nimbalkar, 24; Kapil Karabhau Ahir, 28; Gorakh Bhanudas Shinde, 38; Rajesh Ramesh Tanadel, 33 and Sarfraz Usman Sheikh, 29. They have been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). The accused are alleged to be bodyguards of Vijay Salvi, alias Tambad, a resident of the same society.
"Kanade and Salvi were rivals for the post of secretary. They had registered many cases against each other. All the arrested persons are bodyguards of Salvi. We are searching for four more people involved in Kanade's murder," said Ajit Patil, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), zone XII.
"Salvi has an export-import business and keeps going to London for the purpose. There are several cases lodged against him in Samta Nagar, Mulund and Vile Parle police stations. These include a case of murder, three cases of attempt to murder and an assault case," added Patil.
Police are investigating whether Salvi was in India or in London when the incident occurred. They suspect that Salvi is in London.
Kanade was a union leader in a reputed company. Many cases, including that of rioting, assault and non-cognisable offence, were lodged against him, the police said.
Police said Kanade's body had 39 stab injuries. Manager of the housing society, Manoj Diwakar Nair, was present in the office when the incident occurred. He suffered minor injuries when he tried to intervene.
- Sharad Pawar, Prithviraj Chavan meet traders on LBT; panel to be formed
- BMC chews on nutrition bars for schoolkids, opts for chikki
- Ashish Shelar front runner for Mumbai BJP top post
- When it comes to smoking, women join the pack
- Milan Subway ROB finally sees the light of day
- More blushes for Sena over late Bal Thackeray's funeral funding
- Vasai man fishes out a 30kg Ghol
- Sunil Kumar Loharia murder accused fired at, escapes unhurt
- Court can't split landlord's family to let tenant stay: High court
- Naxal district children move out of fear to freedom
- IPL 6: Mumbai in final, beat Rajasthan by four wickets - 23 hours ago
- Sreesanth gifted another smartphone to a girl - 23 hours ago
- Rahul Dravid shows the way - 10 hours ago
- Chennai Super Kings boss Gurunath Meiyappan arrested; all bets are off on BCCI chief - 10 hours ago
- IPL spot-fixing shame: Police arrest Gurunath Meiyappan - 23 hours ago
- Gurunath Meiyappan's Twitter bio changed, CSK info removed but tweets still show links to team - 1 day ago
- Salman Khan not to wed Romanian TV actress Iulia Vantur, says father Salim Khan - 7 hours ago
- Film review: Hum Hain Rahi Car Ke - 23 hours ago
- Reliance strikes new, rich vein of gas in KG - 9 hours ago
- Paris Hilton wears Falguni and Shane Peacock's creation at Cannes - 22 hours ago