MUMBAI: The Sewree sessions court on Saturday sentenced a 62-year-old woman to life imprisonment for burning her daughter-in-law to death over dowry.
Mangal Bharat Thorat, 62, was sentenced to life behind bars after she was found guilty for murdering and harassing her daughter-in-law Neelam Thorat (19).
Neelam was married to Mangal's son Sunil Thorat on March 30, 2005. Since then, Neelam had been subjected to torture, the prosecution argued.
Neelam's father had paid a sum of Rs one lakh along with gold jwellery to Thorat's family as dowry.
This, however, was not enough for the Thorat family who then started torturing Neelam and also threw her out of the house twice.
On July 3, 2005, Mangal threatened Neelam to either bring Rs 2 lakh or divorce her son.
Following an argument, Mangal beat Neelam up and later poured kerosene all over her and set her ablaze. Neelam, who sustained 85 per cent burns, succumbed to her injuries at Bhatia hospital.
Neelam's father-in-law and husband who were also accused in the case were acquitted by the court due to lack of evidence.
Additional judge A V Palsule, however, observed that "although her husband was also equally a culprit, there is no substantial evidence to convict him."
- Sharad Pawar, Prithviraj Chavan meet traders on LBT; panel to be formed
- When it comes to smoking, women join the pack
- Naxal district children move out of fear to freedom
- Milan Subway ROB finally sees the light of day
- Vasai man fishes out a 30kg Ghol
- Sunil Kumar Loharia murder accused fired at, escapes unhurt
- Ashish Shelar front runner for Mumbai BJP top post
- BMC chews on nutrition bars for schoolkids, opts for chikki
- Court can't split landlord's family to let tenant stay: High court
- More blushes for Sena over late Bal Thackeray's funeral funding
- Rahul Dravid shows the way - 11 hours ago
- Salman Khan not to wed Romanian TV actress Iulia Vantur, says father Salim Khan - 9 hours ago
- Chennai Super Kings boss Gurunath Meiyappan arrested; all bets are off on BCCI chief - 12 hours ago
- IPL spot-fixing shame: Police arrest Gurunath Meiyappan - 1 day ago
- Reliance strikes new, rich vein of gas in KG - 11 hours ago
- Paris Hilton wears Falguni and Shane Peacock's creation at Cannes - 1 day ago
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire again, injure brigadier, two soldiers near LoC - 5 hours ago
- Potatoes may be one of the best superfoods, good source of potassium - 11 hours ago
- Rahul Dravid hopes spot fixing truth will be revealed - 9 hours ago
- Militants kill four army soldiers in Kashmir - 12 hours ago