People can now view sharper pictures of any part of the world on their computer using satellite images with ISRO on Thursday unveiling 'Bhuvan', its version of Google Earth.
Minister of State in the PMO Prithviraj Chavan launched the beta version of the geoportal www.bhuvan.nrsc.gov.in at a day-long workshop of the Astronautical Society of India on '21st Century Challenges in Space - Indian Context."
The web-based tool allows users to have a closer look at any part of the subcontinent barring sensitive locations such as army and nuclear installations.
The degree of resolution showcased is based on points of interest and popularity, but most of the Indian terrain is covered up to at least six metres of resolution with the least spatial resolution being 55 metres, an ISRO official said.
Bhuvan uses images taken at least a year ago by ISRO's seven remote sensing satellites, including Cartosat-1 and Cartosat-2. These eyes in the sky can capture images of objects as small as a car on the road to build three-dimensional map of the world.
The pictures are expected to be sharper than those on Google Earth as Bhuvan uses 10-metre resolution images as against 200-metre resolution photos offered by others.
- Retail inflation at 23-month high
- Sensex falls 246 points to below 21,000 before inflation
- Rupee down 30 paise against dollar in early trade
- Raghuram Rajan flashes thumbs down
- Now, Indian companies to shoo away US blues
- Waiting for a few seconds?
- Sensex down 163 points in early trade on weak IIP data
- JCB becoming like Xerox - synonymous with product
- Gear up for the super exclusive club
- Sebi's insider trading rules now cover public servants of all kinds
- Delhi LIVE: BJP rejects offer to form government, Lt Governor invites Aam Aadmi Party for discussions - 13 hours ago
- Sreesanth ties knot with Jaipur princess - 21 hours ago
- Bigg Boss 7: Sunny Leone to turn up the heat as Armaan, Kushaal, Sangram & Ajaz vie for her attention - 14 hours ago
- Rajinikanth turns 63: List of popular dialogues from his movies - 23 hours ago
- Former Bigg Boss inmate Sofia Hayat files complaint against Armaan Kohli - 19 hours ago