People can now view sharper pictures of any part of the world on their computer using satellite images with ISRO on Thursday unveiling 'Bhuvan', its version of Google Earth.
Minister of State in the PMO Prithviraj Chavan launched the beta version of the geoportal www.bhuvan.nrsc.gov.in at a day-long workshop of the Astronautical Society of India on '21st Century Challenges in Space - Indian Context."
The web-based tool allows users to have a closer look at any part of the subcontinent barring sensitive locations such as army and nuclear installations.
The degree of resolution showcased is based on points of interest and popularity, but most of the Indian terrain is covered up to at least six metres of resolution with the least spatial resolution being 55 metres, an ISRO official said.
Bhuvan uses images taken at least a year ago by ISRO's seven remote sensing satellites, including Cartosat-1 and Cartosat-2. These eyes in the sky can capture images of objects as small as a car on the road to build three-dimensional map of the world.
The pictures are expected to be sharper than those on Google Earth as Bhuvan uses 10-metre resolution images as against 200-metre resolution photos offered by others.
- Amid crumbling sales, Britannia's Jan-Mar profit soars 66%
- Exim Bank to step up in Africa, LatAm
- Sensex snaps 4-day losing run;up 30 points as Tata Steel surges 5%
- Sebi seeks more teeth to deal with Ponzi schemes
- Manmohan Singh asks SEBI to take steps to eliminate stock market insider trading
- Root out insider trading from markets: Manmohan Singh to Sebi
- Gold up because of good buying support; silver firms up
- Duster clone, Evalia refresh, Datsun...new Nissan boss aims to double sales
- Chaitanya Joshi takes JWT Portfolio Night All-Star crown
- Novelis, ThyssenKrupp in novel auto deal
- IPL 6: Mumbai in final, beat Rajasthan by four wickets - 23 hours ago
- Sreesanth gifted another smartphone to a girl - 1 day ago
- Rahul Dravid shows the way - 10 hours ago
- Chennai Super Kings boss Gurunath Meiyappan arrested; all bets are off on BCCI chief - 11 hours ago
- IPL spot-fixing shame: Police arrest Gurunath Meiyappan - 23 hours ago
- Gurunath Meiyappan's Twitter bio changed, CSK info removed but tweets still show links to team - 1 day ago
- Salman Khan not to wed Romanian TV actress Iulia Vantur, says father Salim Khan - 7 hours ago
- Film review: Hum Hain Rahi Car Ke - 23 hours ago
- Reliance strikes new, rich vein of gas in KG - 10 hours ago
- Paris Hilton wears Falguni and Shane Peacock's creation at Cannes - 23 hours ago