Confused about which cut of diamond to present your beloved? Here’s an answer to all your questions — to help you decide what will suit the blushing bride best and help you gain a few points for your knowledge. Happy choosing!
Round cut diamonds, with 57 facets, are by far the most popular diamonds cuts for engagement rings. With pave-set around the diamonds on the band, the round cut has a brilliant shine to it. It’s also known as a ‘round brilliant cut’ because of the number of facets to the diamond; the shine of this cut is often compared to that of a star.
- Jason Trawick, Britney Spear’s former agent, presented her with a traditional round centre three-carat engagement ring with a pave band.
- Natalie Portman and Benjamin Millepied fell in love on the sets of Black Swan after which he proposed with a round cut diamond surrounded with pave diamonds.
- Marko Jaric, basketball player, and supermodel Adriana Lima got engaged with Marko presenting Adriana with a five-carat round diamond surrounded by micro pave stones.
- David Otunga proposed to Jennifer Hudson with a round centre diamond ring with a micro-pave split-shank band.
Just like it sounds, for a princess! This cut got popular after the ’60s, when they found a method to retain more of the stone compared to the round cut. It has sharp, square corners with a pavilion setting (looks like an inverted pyramid). It is also referred to as a ‘square modified brilliant’ cut diamond.
- Christina Aguilera’s five-carat diamond and platinum ring was designed by Stephen Webster with princess cut diamonds and hand filigree detail. She married Jordan Bratman in 2005.
The elliptical shaped brilliant cut, has a shine similar to the round cut. Whenever you choose an oval cut diamond, make sure it has minimal ‘bow-tie effect’, an undesirable dark area near the centre of the diamond. Oval cut diamonds look beautiful on long slender fingers and make for a different shape with all the round cut features.
- Estranged couple who recently filed for divorce — Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes — got married in 2006. He proposed to Katie Holmes with a five-carat oval cut solitaire diamond ring set in platinum and rose gold along with pave set diamonds atop the Eiffel Tower.
- The royal wedding saw Prince William asking college sweetheart Kate Middleton to marry him with his late mother Princess Diana’s 18-carat oval sapphire ring last year.
- Husband Francois-Henri Pinault presented Salma Hayek with a five-carat oval cut diamond set in platinum. They married in 2009.
- With a twist of colour to the ring, Katharine McPhee, who got married to Nick Cokas in 2008, wears an oval cut yellow diamond ring surrounded by pink pave diamonds.
This one is an oldie. Popular back in the 19th and 20th century, the cushion cut enjoys a large following even today. Also known as the ‘old mine cut’ or a ‘pillow cut’, this classic look gives a vintage feel to the ring.
- Recently engaged, Liam Hemsworth proposed to Miley Cyrus with a cushion cut engagement ring, handcrafted in 18-carat gold.
- On a different note, Scott Stuber helped wife Molly Sims with the design of a cushion cut halo diamond ring. They married in 2011.
- Ben Affleck asked Jennifer Garner to marry him with a cushion cut engagement ring designed by Harry Winston.
This ‘tear-drop’ diamond is a combination of a round cut and marquise cut. Marquise cut is usually used in a small size diamond in rings and necklaces.
- In a unique style and traditional touch, the engagement ring of Katherine Heigl’s three-carat pear shaped diamond is surrounded by pave set diamonds along with the band of her mother’s engagement ring.
- Nick Lachey proposed to Jessica Simpson in Hawaii with a four-carat pear-shaped diamond with two side stones.
As it’s called, the radiant cut is meant for glowing brilliance. It’s like a sparkling version of the emerald and asscher cut diamond cuts (square or rectangle).
- Drew Barrymore wears a four-carat radiant cut ring presented to her by husband Will Kopelman. They married earlier this year.
- A much talked about ring has been of Hilary Duff – a 14-carat radiant cut diamond by hubby Mike Comrie.
- Khloe Kardashian wears a nine-carat radiant cut diamond on a pave band presented to her by husband Lamar Odom.
This classic rectangle shaped cut, cropped on the corners, is also widely popular because of its elegant cut. Light reflects from an emerald cut more fashionably than brilliantly.
- Jay-Z proposed to Beyonce in 2008 with an 18-carat flawless diamond in an emerald cut center stone set in platinum.
- Along with tapered baguettes, Kate Hudson wears a nine-carat emerald cut diamond ring from fiance Matthew Bellamy.
- Kim Kardashian used to wear a 20.5-carat emerald cut diamond ring cut along with a pair of two-carat trapezoids.
- Ellen Pompeo wears a three-carat emerald cut from husband Chris Ivery with a diamond band.
Another oldie, the asscher cut is often referred to as a ‘square emerald cut’ and has a stepped square in the design.
- Chris Martin, vocalist of Coldplay, proposed to Gwyneth Paltrow with an asscher cut diamond with a micro pave frame and double band.
- Pete Wentz presented Ashlee Simpson with a four-carat, asscher cut engagement ring along with a pave diamond frame.