¾ cup low fat paneer or cottage cheese
3 tbsp crumbled low fat mava
2 ½ tbsp powdered sugar
1-2 drops of rose colour
Mix paneer, mava and sugar and knead it into a soft dough. Add a tbsp of water if required. Divide the mixture into two equal portions. Add rose colour to one portion of the dough. Spread the white portion on a greased thali and flatten the surface with a spatula. Then spread the pink coloured mixture over the white coloured mixture and flatten the surface. Refrigerate the plate for at least one hour and cut into barfi sized pieces and serve.
Tip Rose barfi is not only low in calories and fat but also rich in proteins and calcium. The addition of finely cut red rose petals to this dish would also help add some fibre content to this recipe, thus making it more appealing and complete it on the health front.
Courtesy Harshal Shah, owner Spices & Flavours, Fort
Ragi manni (Ragi Halwa)
One cup of finger millet (ragi/nachni)
One cup grated coconut
One and a half cup of grated jaggery
2 tsp ghee
Salt to taste
Soak the millet for half an hour. Grind together with coconut till it becomes a fine paste, add six cups of water and mix well. Add jaggery, cardamoms, salt and ghee. Place the mixture on a medium flame and stir continuously for an hour till it becomes thick. Pour on a greased plate and allow to cool. Cut into diamond shaped pieces and serve.
Tip This dish serves eight to 10 people and can be stored in the refrigerator for three to four days. It is an extremely tasty and nutritious item. Can be eaten during Diwali and also as a breakfast option on other days.
Courtesy Devdas Alva, owner of Ankur, Fort
50 gms sugar
60 ml orange juice
1 cinnamon stick
30 gms khoya
1 tbsp fresh mint
Peel the apple and cut into four slices, remove the seeds and toss it into a pan with orange juice and cinnamon and cook it in the sauce pan till tender. Allow it to cool and keep in the fridge. Take a cooked apple or grate khoya on top. Add orange syrup and garnish with fresh mint.
Courtesy Nirmal Monteiro, Corporate chef Safforn Bay and The Elbo Room
Compiled by Melissa D’Costa
- Get picture perfect
- Let there be light
- Pandit Jasraj, Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia, Ustad Zakir Hussain join hands to celebrate art
- What does the nation want to know?
- What's your New Year scene bro?
- My talent lies in the recording studio, says Alan Parsons
- 10 Nutritious Recipes for Working Women in 10 minutes
- We respect each other's individuality: Goa's first couple Raj and Dipti Salgaocar
- Keep surprising yourself: Shonali Nagrani
- Beauty Queries
- Rattled Congress takes refuge in blame game - 1 day ago
- Big Boss 7: I support Tanisha because she is my sister: Kajol - 10 hours ago
- 10 things Nelson Mandela said that you have to know - 1 day ago
- Katrina Kaif looks stunning in song promo of 'Dhoom 3's' new song 'Kamli' - 14 hours ago
- It was a bad performance and it started with the bowling: MS Dhoni - 20 hours ago