Singhara is in fact in season now. This aquatic vegetable, is rich in potassium, zinc, B vitamins and vitamin E, and often eaten by Indian women during their fasts. While you will find many recipes using water chestnut flour in Chinese cuisine, the flour makes for a great coating option for frying, apart from being used to make rotis. Some Indian homes also make Singhara Sheera during the fasting period. Popular food writer and food show host Tarla Dalal, in fact regards this sheera as the finest.
This underground tuber isn’t regarded as a herb for nothing. It’s a storehouse of folates, vitamins, minerals and potassium. While the Gujarati community makes a porridge, those with gluten allergies substitute arrowroot flour with wheat. Arrowroot meal though is known to not have a distinct taste, due to which it makes for a good thickening agent. It can be used to bind or coat patties, cutlets, cookies and also to thicken sauces, soups and gravies.
Chawli atta can be used for preparing a variety of Indian snacks like dhoklas and khakra and pancakes. Or you could add a spoon or two of the bean flour to enrich soups and salans (stew) with fiber, protein, calcium, potassium, iron, and folate.
Matki beans are a popular component of the Maharashtrian cuisine, for instance the misal. While you could roll out chapatis and parathas rich in essential amino acids, try out a matki bean flour porridge.
The regulars on the food blogging circuit often come across recipes that call for Tapioca starch. But this is no foreign produce that will give you sleepless nights on how to find it or substitute it with local products. Tapioca starch is nothing but Tapioca flour. And apart from making gluten free rotis, it could also be used in baking. But be prepared of a peculiar sabudana taste.
- Will dance on 'Besharam' song at Ranbir Kapoor's wedding: Katrina Kaif - 12 hours ago
- Love Salman Khan for promoting 'Dhoom 3' in 'Bigg Boss': Aamir Khan - 13 hours ago
- Live: Supreme Court makes gay sex punishable offence, again; Twitter war breaks out between those for and against the verdict - 3 hours ago
- AAP, BJP ready for fresh poll, Congress to back AAP? - 13 hours ago
- Hrithik Roshan, Shahid Kapoor or even Govinda would have tap-danced better than me: Aamir Khan - 12 hours ago