When Falguni and Shane Peacock decided to go ahead with their participation in the London Fashion Week (LFW), they didn't expect a great response.
"We showed there as we didn't want to break the continuity; we had, after all, shown there last season," explains Falguni on the phone from London. So after their show on February 22, while the media responses were positive enough, the buyers too have come calling. "The orders may be less than the last time around, but more than we anticipated," enthuses Shane.
What's even more interesting is that the duo got to meet the British PM Gordon Brown's wife, Sarah Brown, in person. "She visited our stall at the British Fashion Council (BFC) exhibition and it was a real pleasure meeting her. She is a very stylish person and carries herself with great élan. It was an official visit," notes Falguni, adding that Mrs Brown done her homework and seemed to know quite a lot about their label.
"We showed her around and explained our design philosophy to her. She seemed most interested. In fact, she even congratulated us for Slumdog Millionaire's Oscar sweep," she says, adding that Mrs Brown particularly loved the accessories on display at the stall. And if that's not enough, there was British supermodel Erin O'Connor (also the face of the BFC) who also visited them.
The peacocks' London line
Falguni and Shane produced a collection of dresses and tailored pieces dramatically rich in textures, colours and shapes. The assymetric evening dresses have an almost operatic feel with plunging necklines, pleats and vents, enveloping and swirling around the body.
There is also an 80s feel to knee length dresses, the skirt super-tight while the top zippered. Many of the pieces are hand worked, richly embroidered and appliquéd with crystals, feathers, mesh and even steel wool. Prints are abstract and pixilated, even psychedelic.
- Mauritius bags accolades at World Travel Awards
- Cruising West Africa
- Breast pain in women who exercise
- No takers for Coca-cola's job guaranteed-course, even for free!
- A once in a lifetime experience: Gautam Singhania
- Woop your discovery
- Why it's harder to erase digital memories?
- Break free from heartache
- Spinach: Green, leafy and oh-so-tasty!
- Not single, but ready to mingle?
- Live! IPL spot-fixing: Vindoo Dara Singh spills the beans, was known as Jack in betting circles - 7 hours ago
- Phaneesh Murthy's second time around. Araceli Roiz alleges sexual harassment - 1 day ago
- IPL 6: CSK beat Mumbai Indians by 48 runs, make it to fourth consecutive IPL final - 1 day ago
- Sexual harassment: Few learn from mistakes - 10 hours ago
- Sreesanth bought clothes worth Rs2 lakh, gifted Blackberry Z10 to girlfriend: Police - 1 day ago
- Sreesanth and the complete list of accused in IPL spot-fixing - 22 hours ago
- Sanjay Dutt's quick shift from Mumbai to Pune brings back memories of 'Operation X' - 9 hours ago
- Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan extends Cannes stay for amFar - 21 hours ago
- iGate sacking: What LinkedIn users are saying - 23 hours ago
- I'm innocent, never indulged in spot-fixing: Sreesanth - 22 hours ago