Prime Minister Manmohan Singh appealed to the people of India to stand with all those who were going through harrowing time due to landslides and floods in Uttarakhand and asked for donations to support the victims who have suffered "extensive devastation".
“I request all citizens of India to stand with our distressed fellow countrymen,” the PM appealed. He said "extensive devastation" has been caused due to cloudbursts and floods in the state and a large number of people have died and property worth crores of rupees has been damaged.
"At this moment, affected people need our help to tide over the calamity that has fallen upon them, to survive and to rebuild their lives. I request all citizens of India to stand with our distressed fellow countrymen, and actively participate in the national effort to support them at this difficult time," the Prime Minister said.
"I appeal to all citizens to donate generously to the Prime Minister's National Relief Fund," he said.
The appeal comes against the backdrop of the Prime Minister's announcement of Rs1,000 crore for rescue and relief operations in the state.
PM had on Thursday announced a package of Rs 1,000 crore for relief and rehabilitation in Uttarakhand which has been ravaged by floods. He had also promised that Centre and state would work in close coordination to help and rescue hundreds of people who were still stranded and missing.
Relief operations are in full swing in Uttarakhand and as many as 15000 people have been rescued so far. According to ITBP Director General Ajay Chadda, all those who were stuck in Kedarnath have been rescued. He said that at least 1000 people were rescued from Gaurikund.
Earlier, in its report to the Union Home Ministry, the Uttarakhand State Disaster Mitigation and Management Centre has said that casualties in the affected areas may run into thousands with about 90 ‘dharamashalas' (rest houses for pilgrims) swept away in the flash floods. However, the toll has been kept officially at 150.
With PTI inputs