Rajeev Topno, the 35-year-old IAS officer from Gujarat cadre, will be joining his new assignment as deputy secretary in the PMO in New Delhi by the end of this month. Topno had been holding charge as the managing director of IndextB and joint chief executive officer (CEO) of Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority (GSDMA) for last one year.
The appointment of this 1996-batch officer is important for two reasons. Firstly, cadre officers from states have proved to be a boon to the particular state in pushing its agenda at the Centre, especially if rival parties are in power at the Centre and in the state.
Secondly, it is after a long while that such a young officer from Gujarat has landed an important posting in the North Block. The last officer to join the PMO as deputy secretary from Gujarat cadre was Manjula Subramaniam, who retired as chief secretary last year. She had worked at the nerve centre of power about two decades back.
Interestingly, another IAS officer from Gujarat cadre, Kamal Kumar Dayani, is already working as director in the PMO. Dayani belongs to 1990 batch. Talking to DNA, Topno said, "The position (in PMO) is said to be a very challenging one, so I will be working hard to deliver." He was recently awarded for being the best collector for his tenure in Vadodara. In addition to heading the Industrial Extension Bureau, he had also got credit for managing the Vibrant Gujarat 2009 event well.
"We need more officers like him in key positions," an official in state government said. "We have a long list of issues lying unresolved for years. Officers are always sympathetic to the proposals from their parent state cadre, even though they can't be outright partial."
- Dirty money leaving India has increased 10 times under UPA rule
- Courts should respect individuals' freedom & choice: Sachin Pilot on SC verdict on gay sex
- Anna Hazare sheds 1.6 kg on third day of hunger strike for Lokpal Bill at his hometown Ralegan Siddhi
- Ex-home secretary R K Singh set to join Bhartiya Janata Party on Friday
- Former Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi expresses concern over Supreme Court verdict on Section 377
- Raman Singh sworn in as Chhattisgarh chief minister third time
- Airlines employee killed trying to prevent molestation in Delhi
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai arrives in New Delhi
- Rajya Sabha will discuss Lokpal Bill on Friday: Kamal Nath
- dna exclusive: Chidambaram refuses to toe Sonia Gandhi's line on subsidies
- Delhi LIVE: BJP rejects offer to form government, Lt Governor invites Aam Aadmi Party for discussions - 10 hours ago
- Sreesanth ties knot with Jaipur princess - 17 hours ago
- Bigg Boss 7: Sunny Leone to turn up the heat as Armaan, Kushaal, Sangram & Ajaz vie for her attention - 10 hours ago
- Rajinikanth turns 63: List of popular dialogues from his movies - 20 hours ago
- A sad day for India and for the world: American LGBT organisation All Out - 18 hours ago