Senior military officials from Pakistan and India are expected to meet next month to come up with a clear plan to restore ceasefire along the Line of Control (LoC).
Officials told The Express Tribune on Sunday that the decision to clam down the ongoing tensions at the LoC was taken during a meeting between Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York last month. Both the heads instructed their respective director generals military operations (DGMOs) to evolve a mechanism to avoid a repeat of ceasefire violations at the LoC.
A senior government official said that under the existing mechanism, the DGMOs talked to each other through a hotline every Tuesday. The official said that at the New York summit the two prime ministers agreed that the DGMOs should have face-to-face talks. He said the mechanism and venue for the meeting between the top military officials had yet to be worked out.
When contacted, a military official said it was not yet clear whether the talks would take place at the level of DGMOs or as part of the overall dialogue, the report added.