Home »  News »  India

Tihar conference room declared special jail for Sahara chief

Friday, 1 August 2014 - 9:03pm IST | Place: New Delhi | Agency: PTI

The conference room of Delhi's Tihar jail has been declared a "special jail" which will be offered to Sahara group chairman Subrata Roy to hold negotiations for sale of his luxury hotels in New York and London. The Supreme Court in its decision today allowed Roy to stay in and use the conference room of the jail for 10 days to negotiate the sale of his luxury hotels to raise Rs 10,000 crore so the money can be deposited as ordered by the court to secure his bail.

Sources in Tihar told PTI all the arrangements will be made for Roy at the conference room within the Tihar complex. Besides other facilities, the conference room has a toilet attached to it. "Arrangements will be made for certain facilities like wi-fi and video conferencing for the Sahara group to negotiate the sale of their properties to generate the bail amount. Two laptops, two dekstop and one mobile phone has been allowed for the use," Tihar jail sources said.

Charges for the services will be paid by the group. Apart from these, Roy's steno, secretarial assistants and one technical assistant will be allowed to help him from 6 am to 8 pm during 10 working days starting August 5. For the ten days period, 65-year-old Roy will be staying in the conference room and he will be allowed to carry out negotiations within the 14 hours time slot allotted, jail sources said.

"Adequate security arrangements will be made. Roy will be given jail food and allowed to sleep on bed that he used in his jail cell. All the rules of jail will apply for his stay in the conference room as it did earlier," the sources said. Roy has been lodged in Tihar Jail since March 4 this year. He was arrested over his group's failure to pay back thousands of investors who were sold bonds of over Rs 20,000 crore.
The court had asked Sahara to deposit Rs 10,000 crore initially to secure the release of Roy on bail.

Sahara, the largest private sector employer in the country, had said it does not have the money it has been ordered to pay to secure bail for its chief and requested the court to allow the negotiations to sell their properties to generate the amount from within the Jail. Initially Roy was allowed to meet visitors only twice a week and were allowed phone calls from the Jail's telephone booth. His son and company's senior officers were among his regular visitors

Jump to comments

Recommended Content