Suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) men Abdul Subhan and Asahbuddin, arrested for their alleged role in conspiring to carry out terror strikes in Delhi and adjoining areas, were today remanded in judicial custody till September 2 by a court here. Subhan and his nephew Asahbuddin were produced in court after expiry of their police custody and Special Cell of Delhi Police moved an application saying that they be sent to judicial custody.
Additional Sessions Judge Reetesh Singh allowed the plea of police and remanded both the accused in judicial custody for two weeks. Subhan and Asahbuddin were earlier remanded in police custody after the cops had told the court that they have to be confronted with co-accused Arshad Khan who was arrested on August 13 after being produced before the court from Kolkata Jail. Arshad is presently in police custody till August 21.
The Special Cell had told the court that these accused were required to be confronted with each other to know about the penetration of LeT in Delhi and other parts of the country.
Pakistani national Arshad, who was lodged in Kolkata jail in connection with shoe baron Partha Roy Burman kidnapping case of 2001, was produced before the court on August 13 in pursuance to the production warrant issued against him. The police had earlier filed its charge sheet in the case against accused Mohd Rashid and Mohd Shahid who were arrested in December last year from Haryana's Mewat region.
With their arrest, police had claimed to have unearthed a terror module of LeT which was at an "advanced stage" of planning a major strike in Delhi.