Home »  News »  India

Stockbroker shoots himself dead at Gamdevi home

Friday, 5 September 2014 - 9:42am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: dna

A 69-year-old stockbroker took his own life by shooting himself in the chest with a revolver at his Gamdevi home on Wednesday. While the police speculated that he had taken the step due to failure in business, his family refuted the claim.

Who found his body?

Rashid Talyarkhan, a resident of Permilen building at Bhulabhai Desai Road, was found lying in a pool of blood. The house was locked from inside. According to Rajaram Prabhu, senior inspector of Gamdevi police station, Talyarkhan's son Jemi, 33, returned home from work at around 9 pm on Wednesday to find the first floor door of his residence locked from inside.

"Jemi, with the help of domestic servants, broke the glass window from outside and entered to find his father lying in the hall. Talyarkhan had shot himself," Prabhu said.

Neighbours and relatives then informed the police control room, after which a team visited the spot and made inquiries. The body was later taken to JJ Hospital for post-mortem.

Did bad business or loneliness trigger suicide?

"Prima facie it appears to be a suicide case. The deceased was unsuccessful in the stock exchange business and was tense. Talyarkhan had on previous occasions locked himself inside a room and often used to switch off his phone," said inspector Ravidutt Sawant. Talyarkhan had separated from his wife many years ago, after which she started staying in the United Kingdom, while his daughter lives in Australia. "He was a secretary of the JJ Hospital trust. His son Jemi is a computer engineer with his own programming business," said inspector Rajaram Prabhu.

The NSEL angle

"One of the accused involved in the multi-crore National Spot Exchange Limited (NSEL) scam being investigated by the Economic Offences Wing of the police had been involved in a property dispute with Talyarkhan. Talyarkhan had approached the high court to quash the case, that has been going on for the last two and half a years," said inspector Ravidutt Sawant.

No problems in business, says family

Talyarkhan's family has disputed the police's claim that the stockbroker was having problems in his business and was tense. "Talyarkhan was a very good human being. He used to do a lot of charity for children. He was not having any problems in his business and neither was he tense. His burial will take place on Friday," said a relative of Talyarkhan who refused to be named.

Jump to comments

Recommended Content