The death of 7-year-old Chanchal after her throat got slit by manjha (kite string) is an eye-opener for all.
Who was at fault? And was it possible to avert this mishap? These are the troubling questions that this incident has left in its trail.
People know very well that glass powder is used in making manjha. This also makes the string dangerous for humans and animals as the glass in it can through the skin and flesh easily.
It is worth mentioning here that after hearing a petition filed by one Mahesh Agarwal, the Rajasthan High Court had passed an order on August 22, 2012 imposing a ban on manufacturing, selling manjha made of plastic, Chinese or synthetic threads or of poisonous materials like iron, glass powder.
The high court had also imposed a ban on flying kites from 6 am to 8 am and 5 pm to 7 pm saying birds mostly fly during these times.
However, authorities do little to implement the high court’s order.
Manjha is being manufactured and sold openly. Almost everyone who loves flying kites knows that manjha is manufactured at various places in the city or is brought from outside.
Instead of taking any concrete action, the government just completes the formality by passing an order a day before the festival against manufacturing and selling manjha.
The enforcement of high court orders is negligible. Babus only issue orders but fail to follow up on them.
Every year, many people sustain injuries due to manjha.
Besides, people also fly kites during the banned hours (6-8 am and 5-7 pm).
The administration could do a thing or two in this regard. Following the court orders, the government could start an awareness drive. Because it is difficult to visit every house to prevent people from flying kites during banned hours or from using manjha.
Awareness campaigns educate the masses and yield desired results.
Moreover, areas where manjha is manufactured can be raided and all dangerous products can be confiscated. People producing and selling such things can be penalised. But government fails to take such steps every year.