Home »  News »  India

PM Narendra Modi, Rajnath Singh, BJP in damage control mode

Wednesday, 27 August 2014 - 7:04pm IST | Agency: PTI

As they prepare to mark 100 days in office, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP and the Home Minister were today involved in damage control amidst apparent differences at the top after embarrassing media reports that Rajnath Singh's son was ticked off by Modi for an alleged "misconduct".

As opposition parties revelled in the discomfort of the ruling party, BJP President Amit Shah also joined the PM and Singh in condemning the reports saying "propaganda" against ministers is baseless and misleading.

Shortly after newspapers carried reports of Prime Minister's unhappiness over some alleged misdemeanour of Singh's son Pankaj and that he was warned about it, Home Minister Rajnath Singh sought to scotch the "rumours", saying he would quit politics if even "prima facie" it is proved that any of his family member had been involved in any misconduct.

An emotional Singh made a brief statement to the media saying rumours about alleged wrong doings by his family members have been floating around for the last fortnight. "In the last 15-20 days, there have been continuous rumours in the air about me and my family. I thought rumours have no basis and these will end in some days.  "But I am seeing that these rumours are gaining momentum day-by-day. I want to assure the nation that the day allegations, even prima facie or even small, are proven against me or my family, I will quit politics and public life and sit at home," he said in a hurriedly called interaction with journalists outside his office in North Block.

The Home Minister said he has talked to Modi and BJP President Amit Shah about it and both of them expressed surprise and termed the rumours as completely baseless.

Simultaneously, the PMO also issued a statement, rubbishing the reports and dubbing them as "plain lies, motivated and malicious attempt" to tarnish the image of the government.




Jump to comments