On Sunday, Malayalam actress Shweta Menon withdrew her complaint of molestation against 71-year-old Congress MP N Peethambara Kurup after he tendered a personal apology to her.
The move came after he was booked by the police for molesting her at a function on Friday evening at the venue of President's Trophy boat race in Kollam.
In a statement to the media, Menon said, "In the wake of Mr Peetambhara Kurup's repeated public and personal apology about the incident at the President's Boat Race at Kollam, I am withdrawing all legal and other actions against him."
The 39-year-old actress added that she took the decision after consultation with her 'guruji', her father and husband. Menon further said "There is no pressure whatsoever behind this move."
The actress also thanked the media and the film fraternity for extending their support to her.
Leaders of CPI(M)'s youth outfit DYFI, on whose complaint police initiated action, however, said the legal process could continue even if Shewta withdrew her charge.
Kollam denying the molestation charge had earlier said, "It is totally untrue. I am telling this since my name has come up in a section of the media in connection with the incident."
Media footage showed Kurup touching her after which the MP issued the statement.
The MP today said it was extremely painful that his name had been dragged into the unfortunate incident and that he was confident of proving his innocence with the backing of strong proof.
"For the time being it needs to be seen only as a politically motivated move when elections are approaching. It is painful that any kind of malicious attack could be unleashed against me just because I am a politician," he said.