P Chidambaram, Rahul Gandhi, Kapil Sibal address the media about the Lokpal Bill.
Here are highlights from the press conference:
* Chidambaram said, "Govt has made only 2 or 3 changes in the Lokpal draft of the select committee. We believe there is broad consensus on the Lokpal Bill. This Lokpal Bill balances interest of govt servant, prosecution and investigative agency. We think that bill should be passed. This Bill reflects all that is expected to create and empower the Lokpal."
* "CBI will work under the Lokpal," said Kapil Sibal.
* Rahul Gandhi said, "What we have now is a Bill where there is broad consensus. A strong Bill that will address the issue of corruption. This is a strong bill and it will completely transform the face of corruption. We're 99% there in the passing of this bill. Need support of the other parties, opposition and our allies. Lokpal Bill matter of national importance and we would like parties to put aside their concerns and work with us on it. This Lokpal bill is to do with fighting corruption in this country and has nothing to do with the AAP."
* "It is not about victory or defeat, Lokpal Bill is about fighting corruption, it is about the country. There is a broad consensus on the bill, it is similar to the RTI in terms of national importance. We have been struggling to get Lokpal Bill passed but Parliament has been disrupted," added Rahul Gandhi.
* "Possible that a couple of parties have reservations about this bill, but no party has said that we shall not have a Lokpal," added Chidambaram.
* "Lokpal Bill is not the solution for everything, but it is a big step," said Rahul Gandhi.
* "The Congress has taken steps even within party to fight corruption," said Kapil Sibal.
* "Lokpal Bill will help India in a big way. What we are working on is a framework to fight corruption, it's an element. Other elements make part of this framework too. Unfair to say we are doing this because of elections. We have been fighting to end corruption for a long time and acted accordingly. The single biggest step, bigger than the Lokpal, was the RTI, we passed the single biggest instrument against corruption. RTI much bigger than Lokpal, Govt passed the RTI Act, Lokpal is just an addition to efforts to fight corruption," elaborated Rahul Gandhi.
* "Our job is to give the country is a powerful Lokpal Bill. Need 1% cooperation from other parties. If we work together we can deliver the Lokpal. Anna Hazare is on a fast as that is his perspective. We are confident that we can deliver if the Parliament passes the bill," said the Congress vice-president.
* "Law is already there for appointment of CBI chief, Lokpal doesn't deal with it," said Chidambaram.
* "We have consensus and the Lokpal Bill is on the finishing line," said Rahul Gandhi as he ended the press conference.