There's a lot of buzz around Lok Sabha elections 2014 as political parties up their campaigns. Every party is trying to capture a major portion of youth votes which is determinable for the number of seats to be won.
Hence, it is imperative that first time voters keep a checklist of things to do before selecting their candidates and know the ground-rules.
Go through the list and check for yourself:
1. Confirm your registration as voter weeks before the election. Update your registration information such as address changed etc.
2. Know the voter identification documents required in your State much before polling.
3. Identify your representatives, research and select your candidates as per your discretion
4. Cast your vote on basis of performance
5. Be aware about your constituency
6. Get information regarding candidates
7. Always discuss your problems with the candidates who come for campaign
8. Recognize your booth level officers
9. 49 O is your right, use this correctly
(49 O describes the procedure to be followed when a valid voter decides not to cast his vote, and decides to record this fact)
10.Read about political parties and their manifestos
11. Be familiar with your polling station and how to reach there on the election day
12. Be informed regarding polling timings.
13. Remain patiently for your turn
14. Inspire others to cast their vote for a strong democracy
15. If your employer doesn't give time to vote , It is an offence. Please complaint to the Election Commission about the same
16. Select your representatives without any influence.
17.Read about NOTA option as an alternative