Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday morning and inaugurated 45 MW Nimoo-Bazgo hydro-electric power project and the laying of power transmission lines connecting Srinagar-Kashmir-Leh in Leh. Whereas inaugurated Chutak hydro electric project in Kargil. In his second visit to the valley as the prime minister, he could also be visiting Siachen glacier, media reports suggested. He will visit Siachen to speak to army officers including Army chief Dalbir Singh who is camping at Siachen to receive the prime minister. Later in the day Modi will also hold a public rally in Kargil. Also, he is the first Prime minister to visit Kargil after the war in 1999.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi came out strongly against Pakistan for continuing continuing its proxy war of terrorism against India, saying it has lost the strength to fight a conventional war. Addressing troops of Army and the Indian Air Force on his maiden trip to Leh and Ladakh, Modi condemned the continuing proxy war by Pakistan. "The neighbouring country has lost the strength to fight a conventional war, but continues to engage in the proxy war of terrorism," he said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks at Kargil
Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacts with troops at Leh-Ladakh
— ADG PI - INDIAN ARMY (@adgpi) August 12, 2014
- We have to eradicate corruption. it is my mantra - 'Khud bhi nahi khaunga aur kisiko bhi khane nahi dunga' (Niether I will take bribe, nor I will allow anyone to take).
- It is essential to connect farmers of Kashmir with new technologies.
- It is our responsibity to connect people of Kargil with of the country. We are interested in development and taking everyone together towards development.
- I want to walk on the path of development. You have supported till now and I have a faith that you will continue to support.
- I will fulfill the dreams of Kargil. We are interested in development and taking everyone together towards development
- People in Jammu & Kashmir have been displaced and we will take all efforts to rehabilitate them.
- Jammu and Kashmir can reach at the new height of development. And I am a person who finds roads to hurdles.
- Power is not only for televisions and mobile phones, it's to power industries in Kashmir.
- I am sure the youth here can work hard, earn money and feed their families. We are committed to enhancing connectivity in this region
- An additional 8000 crores to finish pending projects in Jammu and Kashmir.
- It was said Its being said that "Pani aur Jawani Pahad Ke Kaam Nahi Aati' ( water and youths are of no use for hilly region). But we are trying to change this in old times that the water and youths were no use for hills. But the situation has changed today. The youngsters from this region goes away leaving parents behind to earn bread and butter.
- I remember how Kargil celebrated when Tiger Hill was won
- The patriotism of the people of Kargil inspires the people of India. I bow to this land and to the people
- Today i can hear voice of people welcoming me, but when I had visited earlier, I could heard only gun-fire.
- It is my privilege that I am able to come here and meet all of you in Kargil
- Modi inaugurates Chutak hydro electric project in Kargil
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi reaches Kargil
Kargil : PM Narendra Modi arrives on stage pic.twitter.com/AdGtfbpxw5
— ANI (@ANI_news) August 12, 2014
Narendra Modi Speaking at the event:
Addressing the people after the inauguration of the Leh-Kargil-Srinagar power transmission line, Modi said, “I understand the problems people face here, and I also understand their strengths. Leh-Ladakh has an enormous potential for solar energy just like Gujarat. Also, the patriotism of the people here is an example for the rest of the country and I salute you for that.
- We want to make jobs available for the youth. We want educational institutions for the youth
- There are also honest officers. We will work with them too. If we win the fight against corruption we will win battle against poverty
- Corruption is troubling us. People are angry. I assure that we will fight corruption & work with all those against corruption.
- Modi said Rs 8,000 crore additionally needed for road projects in Jammu & Kashmir.
- Modi announced waiver of the interest, saying Centre and Chief Minister Omar ji had an ongoing feud over interest on foodgrains sent to FCI.
- We will modernize the design and production of Pashmina shawls. Peanut vendors, chaiwallahs, horse wallahs, the poor will earn from tourism.
- We have to bring a saffron revolution in Jammu & Kashmir. This means we have to develop and strengthen the production of saffron spice.
- Development should be the one which can bring change in the lives of the common man and energy plays an important role in that.
- Modi suggests Prakash, Paryavaran and Paryatan - the three 'P's formula for Leh-Ladakh
- As the Chief Minister Omar Abdullah says, Leh-Ladakh has enormous potential for solar energy just like Gujarat.
- We need to bring a saffron revolution & that is giving impetus to Kesar. Special attention should be placed to farmers
- The power project will eradicate the darkness. We have to connect all regions of the country by the means of roadways, railways, elctricity grid, telecommunication.
- There was a time when a Prime Minister never used to visit Kashmir for years and years, I have come twice in 2 months only because of your love.
- I will do whatever I could for the development of this region.
- I understand the problems people face here, I also understand the strengths of the people here
- I am very fortunate to have worked for the Party in Jammu & Kashmir. I used to visit the state often.
- After a long time Leh Ladhak must have seen so much crowd for the first time.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Welcomes Narendra Modi. Abdullah says, "This region is one of the most beautiful regions in the world, but people here have problems.
Power minister Piyush Goyal speaking at the foundation stone laying ceremony of a Hydro-Power Project
Prime Minister Narendra Modi with CM Omar Abdullah
Leh : PM Narendra Modi with CM Omar Abdullah pic.twitter.com/QkHMRu3YKs
— ANI (@ANI_news) August 12, 2014
Prime Minister Narendra Modi reaches Leh
Assures soldiers to build war memorial, says no compromise on Siachen
PM Narendra Modi arrives on stage in Leh pic.twitter.com/0ZDfbfJFkf
— ANI (@ANI_news) August 12, 2014
A week ago Union Minister Piyush Goyal had announced that Modi would soon dedicate two Hydel power projects in Leh and Kargil. He would also lay the foundation stone for the first power transmission line from Leh to Kargil and Kargil to Srinagar. BJP leader MA Naqvi said, that Leh-Ladakh is a neglected region and Modi will be the first prime minister to come and interact with the locals of the state.
Modi had last month inaugurated the 240-Megawatt Uri-II Hydro Electric Project (HEP) located near the Line of Control (LoC) in Baramulla district of Kashmir. This is the second power project on the Jhelum river in Uri area and is located downstream of 480-MW Uri-I HEP, which is already operational.
However, chief minister Omar Abdullah complained that Narendra Modi was inaugurating power projects that was completed during the UPA rule. “I am very much surprised and disappointed with UPA II government led by Dr Manmohan Singh for giving undue credit to present BJP government led by Narendra Modi. It has let the BJP-led government inaugurate several major developmental projects, which were taken and completed during UPA-II government,” Rising Kashmir reported Abdullah as saying.
However, just a day 8 BSF jawans were injured in a militant attack on the paramilitary convoy at Pampore, 14 km from Srinagar, on Srinagar-Jammu highway late on Monday night.
The new Narendra Modi government has made its commitment to Kashmir clear, by even promising a new rehabilitation package for Kashmiri Pandits in its Union Budget.