As India celebrates its 68th Independence Day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi hoisted the tricolour at Red Fort before addressing the nation. This is the first major address of the Prime Minister, and comes just weeks before his government completes 100 days in office. Narendra Modi chose to keep it extempore and spoke of his vision for the
country. By shunning a script or a bullet proof screen between him and the audience, he had set the stage for a speech which was natural and high in emotions.
Today, Indians, both in India and all over the world are celebrating Independence Day. I convey my greetings to everyone but not as the Prime Minister but as a Pradhan Sevak. The struggle for freedom went on for years, generations sacrificed their lives even at the prime of their youth. I salute all those who sacrificed themselves for India's freedom. Independence day gives us an inspiration & showcase the national character and can inspire us to take India to newer heights. Leaders or rulers did not made this Nation, nor the governments. It is farmers, labourers, women, youth, seers, scientists who made it. The beauty of our constitution is that a person from a poor family from small village has the honour to stand under the flag here. I expressed his gratitude to all the former governments, former Prime Ministers for taking the country to such heights. And now, we must walk together, think together, and make a determination to take the nation ahead together.
प्रधानमंत्री श्री नरेन्द्र मोदी लाल किले से संबोधित करते हुए। pic.twitter.com/gZPe0SBDBg
— PIB India (@PIB_India) August 15, 2014
- We don't want to move ahead on the basis of our mandate. We want to walk together with consensus, taking all parties together and we succeeded in taking Opposition together. Credit does not go to just the Prime Minister or the government but also to the Opposition.
- I am an outsider to Delhi, especially with the elite class. When I came to Delhi and saw an 'Insider View'. I was surprised that in one government there were several different government's functioning. Situation is so that the one department wants to go to Court over other department, when both are part of one government. When the matters are reaching Supreme Court, how shall we take the nation forward? Government is not an assembled entity but an organic entity. I have tried to break down these walls.
- When I read that with the new government officers came on time, I was not happy. Should officers coming on time be news?
- Let us think beyond 'what about me' & look at the nation.
- Crime against women are increasing. Our head hangs in shame when we hear news about rape. When such incidents happens, Parents questions their daughter, but does anyone dare ask their sons. The person raping is also someone's son. As parents have we asked our sons where he is going, then why not put same yardstick for sons too. I appeal to parents not to sacrifice the girl child. I have seen families where one daughter served parents more than even 5 sons.
- With the path of violence we have not achieved anything and therefore, we should leave the path of violence. For a long time, we have seen instances of communal violence, but till when such incidents will keep on happening. Caste or communal violence hinder the growth of the nation. We should see that the path of peace, unity, brotherhood helps India's growth.
Listen to the PM's address to the nation on 68th
— All India Radio News (@airnewsalerts) August 15, 2014
- Our sports persons have brought us immense pride, many brought us medals and I am proud that there are several daughters too.
- Development and good governance are the only ways to take India forward and we believe in taking everyone together.
- Through Prime minister Jan-Dhan Yojana we want to integrate the poorest of the poor with bank accounts.
- The world and India needs a skilled workforce. We are a youthful nation and our youth is our strength and we want youngsters who are job creators.
- By being isolated from the world, we can't think of development journey.
- Announces clean India campaign from October 2, 2014
- We need to give impetus to manufacturing sector and therefore, I tell the world - Come, make in India. Sell anywhere but manufacture in India. We have the skill and talent. Let us get involved in manufacturing sector with zero defect, not even hurting the environment.
- All over the world we should be able to see Made in India and that should be our dream.
- There should be toilets in all schools across the country.
- It is a time that we should remind ourselves of the slogan given to us by Lal Bahadur Shastri - Jai Jawan Jai Kisan
- People used to think India is a country of black magic & snake charmers, but IT professionals have changed the image of our country.
- Time has come for us to move towards 'Digital India' and it's an elite concept. Broadband for education should be used.
- Tourism has great potential but what stops us, its the filth all around us. That is first thing we must do, maintain cleanliness around us.
- In India the poor, the chaiwala also earns and when I talk of chaiwala, it reminds me of myself.
- It is a shame that our women have to wait for darkness to go out in the open to defecate. Dignity for poor is important.
- There are several schemes under PM's name, today I announce a scheme under Parliament's name 'Sansad Aadarsh Gram Yojna'. Parliamentarians should choose a small village of about 3000 to 5000 population, fix parameters & make it a model village.
- On October 11, 2014 on the occasion of Jaiprakash Narain jayanti, I will present the blue print of Sansad Aadarsh Gram Yojana.
- People are asking about the Planning Commission, but today the times have changed from the time the Planning Commission was created. Importance of federal structure is only increasing and therefore, will soon replace Planning Commission with new institution.
- We fought the Independence struggle without weapons. We defeated a foreign power by fighting together. But can't we fight poverty? Let us pledge to work with neighbours to defeat poverty in the region
- By working together, we SAARC nations can change world's outlook towards us.
- I want to tell you dear brothers and sisters that if you work 12 hours, I will work 13 hours. I am a Pradhan Sevak and not the Pradhan Mantri.
PM Narendra Modi hoists the National Flag from the ramparts of Red Fort
PM Narendra Modi arrives at Red Fort
PM Narendra Modi receives the guard of honour
PM Narendra Modi taking guard of honour at Red Fort pic.twitter.com/x5D4ifD38u
— ANI (@ANI_news) August 15, 2014
PM Narendra Modi pays homage at Rajghat
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) August 15, 2014