Top Lashkar-e-Taiba bomb expert Abdul Karim Tunda, one of the 20 terrorists India had asked Pakistan to hand over after 26/11 terror attacks, today moved a Delhi court seeking bail in the 1997 Sadar Bazar blasts case.
Tunda, against whom a supplementary charge sheet was recently filed by the special cell of Delhi Police in connection with the case, moved the bail plea which will come up for hearing before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Amit Bansal on December 20.
In his plea filed through advocate M S Khan, Tunda, who was arrested from Indo-Nepal border on August 16 this year, said he has been chargesheeted by the police only on the basis of "disclosure statements" made by two accused persons, who were arrested earlier in connection with the case.
Tunda was chargesheeted for offences under sections 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapon), 307 (attempt to murder) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC and the police had claimed that he was part of the conspiracy which led to two bomb blasts, one in Sadar Bazar and other in Qutab Road here, on October 1, 1997 in which several people were injured.
Earlier two persons -- Mohd Shakil alias Hamza and Mohd Amir, were arrested in the case but Shakil was discharged by the court on April 17, 1999 while Amir was acquitted in the case on April 26, 2001.
In his bail plea, 72-year-old Tunda said "the only material on the basis of which the applicant (Tunda) was arrested and being prosecuted is the disclosure statements of the above two persons (Shakil and Amir) as well as of the applicant accused."