Chief minister Narendra Modi plans to turn Kutch district into solar energy hub of the country as the area witnesses bright sunshine for the larger part of the year.
"Seeing abundant sunshine in this region, I have no doubt that Kutch will become 'saur urja no desh' (hub of solar energy) in a decade, which will change the district's face further," Modi said at a function held on the Jhara hills to pay tributes to the Kutchi warriors of Jhara war fought 243 years ago, and to mark New Kutchi Year, celebrated on Ashadhi Beej, the second day of the month of Ashadh, on late Wednesday evening.
He said many industrialists were ready to come to Kutch to generate solar power, but did not name them. Stating that post-quake years had seen unprecedented, all-round development of the district, the CM said the Kutch of today was very different from the Kutch of past, when Kutchis had to migrate to earn their livelihood.
Inaugurating 71 new check dams on the occasion, Modi said by successfully adopting drip irrigation system Kutch had set an example of utilising scarce water in an effective manner.
Modi, as usual, came late for the function and was not in his oratorical best. "His speech was dull and drab, possibly due to 'reverses' suffered in parliamentary elections," a disappointed Modi fan said.
Possibly because of this, people started leaving the venue of function even while Modi was speaking. The venue where cultural programmes were organised, was empty. The audience comprised of the CM, top BJP leaders and organisers only. Some people said it was difficult to successfully organise a programme at such a remote place, and, that too, under a shamiana during rainy season.
Incidentally, it rained after arrival of the chief minister at the function.
- Only 34% of graduates are employable: Survey
- Thanks, but no thanks: Arvind Kejriwal on taking or giving support to any political party
- dna exclusive: Poll debacle brings Sonia Gandhi back at helm
- ISRO successfully performs first Trajectory Correction Manoeuvre on Mars Orbiter
- Telangana tangle: Congress trying to avert downfall, says BJP
- Supreme Court sets aside Delhi HC order which decriminalised gay sex; it's illegal now
- Manmohan Singh assures Captain Sunil James' family that government will get his release from Togo jail
- Anna Hazare fasts fourth time for Jan Lokpal, government promises bill in current session
- Tehelka sexual assault case: Tarun Tejpal to appear in court on Wednesday
- Red alert: Supreme Court ruling offers no beacon of hope for self-styled leaders
- Will dance on 'Besharam' song at Ranbir Kapoor's wedding: Katrina Kaif - 11 hours ago
- Love Salman Khan for promoting 'Dhoom 3' in 'Bigg Boss': Aamir Khan - 11 hours ago
- I am not getting married anytime soon, clarifies Katrina Kaif - 10 hours ago
- Hrithik Roshan, Shahid Kapoor or even Govinda would have tap-danced better than me: Aamir Khan - 11 hours ago
- Narendra Modi is a joker with a dirty mouth: Mani Shankar Aiyar - 20 hours ago