Home »  News »  India

Irom Sharmila arrested in Manipur on charge of attempt to commit suicide after she continues hunger strike

Friday, 22 August 2014 - 10:00am IST Updated: Friday, 22 August 2014 - 12:15pm IST | Place: Imphal | Agency: dna webdesk

Anti AFSPA activist Irom Sharmila has been arrested by the Imphal police after she refused to under go medical check up or be force fed following her release from prison in Manipur.

Manipur ADG Santosh Macherla said that the civil rights activist has been re-arrested on charges of attempt to commit suicide. The court order while releasing her had said that the responsibility of her health will remain with the state. After she refused to be force-fed after her release, she was forcibly arrested by the police.

On Friday morning, police arrived at the site of her protest and arrested her despite resistance from Irom Sharmila and her mother. She was forcibly taken away from a  small makeshift shelter outside the government-run hospital in the city where she was continuing her fast after being released from jail on Wednesday. Sources said 42-year-old Sharmila was being taken for a medical check-up after she declined to eat or drink. 

Even after her release, she said, "I will continue to fast till my demand (withdrawal of AFSPA) is met. The order of the sessions court that I am not attempting to commit suicide (by launching fast to remove the controversial Act) is welcome."

After being released from jail on Wednesday evening, Irom Sharmila Chanu has refused a medical check up. She continues to fast in Imphal protesting against the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).

The state had charged her for attempt to commit suicide and she was being kept under arrest and force fed through a tube. Now that she has been freed by a court, force feeding has not been possible.

Late on Thursday night, a doctor with a large police force arrived at the shack in Imphal which is now her protest site. Irom was sleeping when the police and the doctor arrived, and she refused to undergo any medical check up, NDTV reported.

It has been almost two days since she has been force fed. It is not clear if the police would arrest her again to feed her forcefully. IBNLive reports that she could be detained by the police today for being force-fed.

Irom Sharmila has been on a fast now for 14 years protesting against the AFSPA, a law she terms "draconian".  

Sharmila had gone on hunger strike in November 2000 after 10 people were shot dead in a suspected encounter with insurgents near Imphal airport, allegedly by personnel of Assam Rifles. Three days later, she was arrested and charged with attempt to commit suicide.

With inputs from PTI

Jump to comments

Recommended Content