The state government on Saturday recommended that the probe into charges of rape against Babulal Nagar, tainted ex-minister who resigned after being accused of rape early this week, be handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The home department opened its offices on a holiday to shoot off written recommendation to the Union ministry of personnel for a CBI probe into the case. At present, the Crime Investigation Department’s Crime Branch (CID-CB) is investigating the matter.
Sources said that copies of home department’s recommendation to the Centre have been sent to the DGP HC Meena and ADG (Crime) Kapil Garg.
The urgency on part of the government for a ‘fair probe’ by roping in the CBI invariably drives the final nail in Nagar’s coffin. It also undoes the former minister’s desperate attempts to prove himself innocent and his hectic political parleys to get a safe exit in the days following the police case against him. Nagar has so far rubbished the allegations levelled against him. His family has stood by him.
Earlier in the day, the statement of the 35-year-old woman who was allegedly raped by Nagar was recorded in front of a magistrate. Her statement was recorded 10 days after the incident reportedly took place at Nagar’s official residence in Civil Lines.
There was a CID official in the courtroom and the magistrate who recorded the woman’s statement. For nearly an hour, the woman gave her statement during which she stuck to her guns and levelled damning allegations against the minister accusing him of rape.
The victim also maintained that Nagar’s brother and Jaipur Zila Pramukh Hazarilal Nagar also offered her money in exchange for not reporting the matter to police.
Sources said Nagar could be interrogated on Sunday again by the investigating officers. The CID team has quizzed Nagar and his employees at his official residence in the past.