Former Army Chief General (retd) VK Singh on Saturday alleged that top hierarchy of the Indian Army was involved in the reported bugging incident that took place at his residence in Delhi Cantonment area.
The government had, earlier in December, withdrawn the security cover provided to the former Army Chief after he sided with joined protests against the government in the support of the Delhi gang-rape victim.
Singh had been given Z-plus protection for six months after he retired on May 31 this year, a security cover extended to all former army chiefs for the same duration.
“I am not in town, but have received information regarding this development that an Army team, consisting of signal personnel, entered my house in Delhi Cantonment area. They said they had orders from top hierarchy of the army,” said Gen Singh, who is presently in Gujarat. He is expected to return to Delhi on Saturday evening.
The Indian Army accepted its fault for not informing in advance to General Singh about removal of the exchange. It clarified that there was a communication gap and the team has returned without removing the telephone exchange.
“There was a communication gap. A team under a Major of Signals was sent to remove the official telephone exchange at former Army Chief's house without informing him. Mrs VK Singh objected to the removal of this without any notice. The team has come back and the exchange will be removed in due course of time,” said Colonel Jagdeep Dahiya, the spokesperson of the Indian Army.
However, the former Army Chief's lawyer Vishwajeet Singh claimed that the residence could have been bugged.
“It could be possible that this could be a case of bugging. He could not show any supporting document. The authorities have been informed. This is not a small thing. This could be a major issue. Earlier, his (General Singh) security was also withdrawn,” he said.
The Signals team was led by Major R Vikram. Even though the police were informed, no one was detained.