A fire broke out at the domestic arrival area of the airport in Chennai on tuesday, however no casualty was reported, airport officials said.
The fire at the basement area was suspected to have been caused by a short circuit in a cable wire. Three fire tenders which were pressed into service doused the fire, officials said, adding, the incident did not affect operations.
In a statement, Airports Authority of India said the fire, broke out in the basement level of New Domestic Terminal in the UPS battery backup system, was a 'minor one.'
"It was observed that one of the battery monitoring device of UPS systems caught fire due to high temperature, resulting in smoke in the battery bank area," Airport Director K Suresh said in an AAI statement.
While automatic fire safety systems were activated, fire teams also rushed to the site and restored normalcy, he said, adding there were no disruptions in the flight operations.