We need a better battleplan to ensure safety of women and we need it now. Half-measures will NOT do. DNA lists 10 demands that will fix the system.
1.The government must bear the medical expenses of Patient X, the girl who was gang raped in Delhi, for the rest of her life.
3.Increase funding of training for police immediately.
4. Professionalise and empower the National Commission for Women and retire the current politicians or those with political patronage who are currently heading it.
5. Commission a White Paper on what happens to rape cases from prevention to investigation to conviction. Recommendations should be implemented in time-bound manner.
6. Ensure suspension of errant policemen is in effect and is not turned into a paid holiday. Any lapse must have a major impact on their career progression.
7. States must junk the colonial Police act of 1860 and prepare and pass new Acts on the lines of the 2006 Supreme Court judgment on police reforms. These laws must make the police more accountable to the public with relevant clauses and sections.
8. Some policemen failed to register a case and act on the complaint of a passenger who had been robbed by the rapists before they picked up the woman. Had the police acted and given chase, the gang rape could have been prevented. These policemen must be charged with abetment of the gang rape for failing to do their duty.
9. The police in New Delhi must report to the state government and not to officials like the Lt.-Governor who have no accountability to the people.
10. A large number of policemen are permanently on VIP duty or serve as orderlies to senior officers. This must change. Why should the common man feel unsafe at the cost of politicians’ security?